The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Separation anxiety

MishaVa87

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello, about ten days ago I adopted a dog from the street that is about 3 months old. It was Thursday, the week before last. I went to work on Friday and there were no problems. Then we spent the whole weekend together. She is very intelligent, in a day she learned where to defecate, and she learned the commands come and no. The problem is that she hasn't gone through the whole vaccination process yet and is not allowed to go outside, because in my city there is currently a contagious dog disease.
The vet told me that the fact that she was on the street was a risk that I could not influence, but that now I can and that she should therefore be in the apartment until she is protected by the vaccine. The problem started when I returned to work after the weekend.
Unfortunately, I didn't have time to gradually get her used to my absence. I live alone, my mother always works the same shift as me, my sister lives in another city, and my friends mostly work the same shift as me. I had no one to hire to be with her while I was gone.
Already on Monday, she started howling and barking when I leave her alone. Seven days have passed since then and the condition is getting worse. I've been looking for advice on the internet, I've tried everything they suggested and nothing works. She can move freely around the apartment, she has her own toys, food and water.
Before I go to work, about half an hour earlier, I get dressed, take the keys and then just sit on the bed. How would she not associate that ritual with my departure. before I leave, I hide her snacks all over the apartment so that she will be interested in looking for them. But when all that passes, he starts barking and howling. It's getting worse and more frequent.
In the beginning it would last for a short time and then she would calm down, but now it lasts longer and is more frequent. She also started to show destructive behavior, which was not the case a few days ago. Also, he defecates uncontrollably everywhere and my bathroom is covered in feces. She doesn't work that when I'm around.
The neighbors are silent for now, but if it continues, it is only a matter of time when they will protest. I'm afraid they will call the police or ask me to throw her out. The whole situation began to affect me as well. I'm distracted at work, and I do a dangerous job where I have to concentrate. I think about what is happening, is she barking. I fear for her mental health. I'm running like crazy from work, I almost got hit by a car once. when I come home, I don't go out anymore, and I'm afraid to leave her alone. Everyone tells me that she will get used to it over time, but it seems to be getting worse. I'm desperate and I don't know what to do anymore. I am asking for advice and help if anyone has had similar problems.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, she won't get used to it. Her separation anxiety means that every day is scary, and this alone will reinforce her fear. The only reason that some dogs may seem to get used to it is 'conditioned helplessness' - they realise that howling, etc., don't help so stop doing it - but they are still just as stressed - or even more so as they realise nothing helps :-(

In my opinion, the only option, if you want to keep her, is to find a way for someone to be with her all the time, and then work very gradually on getting her used to being left. If this is impossible, it really might be better to return her to the rescue and hope that someone who can be around most of the time will adopt her.

If you are able to find someone who can be with her while you're at work, this article on separation anxiety may help: Separation anxiety

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back