The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Seperation anxiety and barking

amanda315

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi I am new on here and would be great to hear your advice.

I have 2 staffys who I adore but my 6 year old Charlie has terrible anxiety problems, to the point we feel like prisoners as can't leave him because he barks so much. Neighbours have called the council and complained. I have installed a pet cam so I can watch from my phone and to be honest he isn't that bad but I am so worried it stresses him out. My older staff is very laid back and it's a effort for her to even get up she is so chilled.

We keep the TV on when we go out, shut the blinds and give him a filled Kong, I even give him valerian to try and calm him.

Does anyone else have this problem, your advice would be very much appreciated

Amanda

Dogs that are over bonded to their owners are the most prone to separation distress. As you have found out, it does not help to have another dog! It is you he misses when you go out.

There are some things you can do to help.

When you leave him, do not make a big deal of it. Just get ready and go. No kisses, cuddles etc as he will miss you more. For about ten minutes before you go you should ignore him. You need him to view you as a grumpy old whatsit not a lovely cuddly mummy.

When you are at home with him try to make him be more independent of you. You should ignore all his attention seeking and not let him rest touching you all the time. Wait until he is settled on his own, or with the other dog, and then give him as much attention as you like. This will help him to cope when you are not there to give him attention when he feels he needs it. Try not to let him follow you about.

Some dogs respond to Adaptil plug ins. They reproduce the pheromones produced by the mother and reassure a dog that it is safe.

It would help him to learn not to build up his worry if you muddy his expectation of being left. This means turning into an actress and letting him think you are leaving him when you are not.

Start to get ready to go out and then sit down or get on with what you were doing. Start again, stop. Start again, stop.

Go a bit further with the routine and then stop and sit down. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Eventually you should be able to go right through your usual ritual, of getting ready to go out and leave him, but come back. This will help him to say calm as you do get ready to go out because he will not believe that you are really going.

Progress to going out for a few seconds (you have to have the right shoes on etc or he will know the difference) and then come straight back in. If he stays calm move on to a minute and then to two minutes etc. Each time you leave make no fuss and when you come back make no fuss. Go as far as starting the car and driving a short distance before coming back again.

You are trying to teach him that you are unpredictable. Sometimes you are just a minute and you are back! He will then, hopefully, wait patiently for your return when you are gone longer.

Try to make friends with your neighbours and tell them that you are working on the problem :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back