The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Seperation Anxiety

peaches-12

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a 1 year old Jack Russell x Chihuahua bitch. When it comes to leaving the house we used to leave the house open but unfortunately she started to chew wires e.t.c. Now we put her in the kitchen however when we come home she poos everywhere and it looks like a dirty protest. Can anyone help!

Seperation anxiety is exactly that, anxiety. According to the Oxford dictionary anxiety is 'A feeling of worry, nervousness or unease about something with an uncertain outcome'. It is not a protest and she is not punishing you, she is scared and stressed because you leave her and she does not know if or when you are coming back.

How long is she left alone for and how often? Have you considered crate training?

Its not every day and its not for long periods of time its usually a max of 2 maybe 3 hours at a push. She does the exact same thing if shes left in the car alone for a couple of minutes say if i nip into a shop. But she poos her own body weight every time its ridiculous lol, even when shes taken for a walk before hand she goes to the toilet and yet she still manages to get loads out so its confusing iv being brought up with dogs all my life and not one has ever done this hence me asking for advice. Iv had mixed reviews about getting her a crate/cage.

If being left alone even for a relatively short period of time is causing her that much stress and worry then shouldn't you explore every possibility to remove that from her life?

Anyone who tells you that crates are cruel or punitive to be frank, has no understanding of canine psychology and knows nothing about dogs. When used positively a crate is a dogs sanctuary, a place where they can feel safe and reassured, as opposed to feeling stressed and anxious.

My own dog is perfectly happy in his crate when he is left and I know that he is safe and so is the rest of my house, this was certainly not the case before he was crate trained. I have only one friend who is anti-crate and that is despite losing a puppy that chewed its way into a box of medicatIon.

Yes i can defifnatly understand, well im going to buy one and try it out. Shes such a sweet little dog, and has always had a very timid nature when she left on her own. And i can probably say shell definatly love it haha! Thankyou very much :)

Also leave her things to keep her occupied like toys and chews etc?

Welcome to Dog Forum! :)

what is your exercise routine like? for me if im out for a while then i give big walk and leave soon as im back

too true mr lurcherman. My dog doesn't like being left behind, no dog does, but i can get him to the point where he doesn't want to leave his bed cos he's so pooped. If you can stand in front of them and say 'you coming for a walk?' and their eyes remain shut, then no problemo's regarding them worrying that you've gone, or needing the loo. This is easier done with a lurcher or whippet tho eh? Tiring out a young jack russell has got to be a full time job. I've always wanted one, but i'm saving it for when i magically don't have to work all day. (which is the point i keel over by the looks of things) :)

peaches12, if she is really producing that much poop, i would look at what you are feeding her, additives in food can make dogs very nervy, and also poo huge amounts if there is hard to digest stuff like maize and grain in there. And i would then try and walk her till she had done at least two three or four before leaving her. Feeding at the same time every day and walking at the same time produces a predictable (kind of) outcome. And if you feed a good quality food or raw feed, you get a lovely calm dog, and small poos, double win. When I feed my dog raw bones etc, he slips into what i call a meat-coma, you could leave him at home, or do his claws, or poke him in the eye and he would just sleep, its brilliant. Excercise and good quality food makes me happy to lie around doing nothing, it totally works for them too.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back