The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Seperation anxiety

Shalista

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Is there a quick resources for seperation anxiety? I know y’all are usually quick with a link and I’m sure this topic has been posted on before but I can’t find anything.

As soon as we step out the door Freddie starts barking and all evidence points to him continuously barking for the duration we’re both out of the house.

He is not destructive. He does not wee or deficate in the house. He does not chew. He just barks.

And it’s absolutely heart breaking when we come home. I’m possibly anthropomorphizing him but it’s obvious to me that he totally thought we were gone forever and is just desperately happy we’re back. He settles pretty quickly after we get home.

So far joel has been working from home for the past three weeks and thanks to a recently sprained ankle Joel will be able to get to work now and I’ll be staying home for a bit. I’d love to take this opportunity to work on his anxiety.

THAT BEING SAID.

He’s a new rescue. I totally understand exactly why he’s terrified when his people leave. He’s been here three weeks. That’s seconds in a lifetime of people abandoning him. He’s five and he’s basically never had a proper home.

We’re keeping with one parent home at all times but sometimes it’s unavoidable for both of us to be out of the house when we have appointments etc and I want to make these times as easy as possible on him also with an eye towards at SOME point both of us will have to spend the day at work and he’ll be home alone all day and I want to make that as easy as possible on him.

Any thoughts?

Has he got access to outside....

Yes, we have a thread here - Separation anxiety
I did some research on flitting and the article recommended not trying it with new dogs as it’s to stressful. Am I jumping the gun by trying to address Freddie’s SA if he’s only been here three weeks?

How does he react when you go into a different room at the moment - does he accompany you to the loo? What if you put ono your shoes, open the front door, but don't go out? What if you just pop out to the bin?

I did some research on flitting and the article recommended not trying it with new dogs as it’s to stressful. Am I jumping the gun by trying to address Freddie’s SA if he’s only been here three weeks?
Possibly, but a lot depends on how resilient he is.

My first thought is that it's a bit early for you to have worked him out, so definitely err on the side of caution, don't try too hard or too fast. With everything just take one step back, lower any expectations you have and just let him do dog things at his pace.

How does he react when you go into a different room at the moment - does he accompany you to the loo? What if you put ono your shoes, open the front door, but don't go out? What if you just pop out to the bin?
Always jumps up to follow. I accidentally did some flitting before I knew that was a thing a week ago when I was unpacking boxes and he eventually settled on his mat and just watched me walk in and out. I’m tempted to do it some more but again I don’t want to stress the little guy out when he’s SO new.

Chances are your day-to-day life will involve enough flitting as you go about your household tasks. This'll give you ample opportunity to observe him and pick up on his level of stress. The more you can stay in his comfort zone, the better.

Excellent progress on the SA! discovered that he’s 100% okay with me leaving the room for minutes at a time if he’s busy with a peanut butter kong. I don’t mind having him as a little shadow around the house but I feel so much better about his mental health that he can settle with a chew or a kong and not NEED to be at my side. Also gives me hope that I can Kong him before we leave if we have to both leave the house and that may ease the transition for him

Oh yeah. This is a good boi. I always knew it. But now it’s confirmed. Been sporadically flitting maybe a dozen times. (Walking from the living room to the bedroom to pick up a single piece of laundry. Put it in the basket. Then come back to the couch). Initially he started wandering around the house by himself (no signs of anxiety. I think he was looking for the less insane parent to ask for a potty break). Post potty break he settled on the couch and two flits later chose to just stay chilling on the couch rather than follow mama on her bizarre laundry run. We still have a long way to go re our SA journey but tonight I’m full of hope!!!

(He did steal my spot on the couch while I was gone. Loser!!!! )

Welp. Not my brightest moment. Attempted to generalize to the kitchen because he was doing so well and it immediately became obvious that this would be hard for him. Treats and kibble are kept in the kitchen. It also is dinner time. Something I didn’t realize because he wasn’t asking. Hmmmmm why is Freddie so intent on following me into the kitchen!?!?!?

I win the award for dumbest dog mom ever lol.

I think we’ll wait on the kitchen till tomorrow and try the bathroom tonight.

Edit
Bathroom was easy for him. I was able to fully potty myself and come back and he barely cracked an eyelid at me.

Don't forget that progressing 'too' slowly is much better than progressing too fast. As I said, your daily activities will provide enough natural flitting. And in my experience, being happy to stay put when you're moving round the house doesn't necessarily translate into being happy when left alone. It's even possible for a dog to be happy to be left alone, but still want to be where you are and be stressed if they can't be in the room you're in. I would work on the 'putting shoes on, picking up keys, walking to front door, etc.' aspect - but only those aspects that don't faze him in the slightest.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back