The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Setana Sports

jezza

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Anyone got this? We've only really got sky for sports and I don't really like having to spend the best part of 40 quid for a few games of football a month (can you tell I'm not a football fan :D ). So we were thinking of just cancelling the sky subscription and getting Setana through the freeview box. So does anyone have any good/bad comments about this????

jezza said:
Anyone got this? We've only really got sky for sports and I don't really like having to spend the best part of 40 quid for a few games of football a month (can you tell I'm not a football fan  :D   ). So we were thinking of just cancelling the sky subscription and getting Setana through the freeview box. So does anyone have any good/bad comments about this????
Hi Lucy,

I was speaking to a friend yesterday who has Setanta. He thinks it's really good especially as you can cancel when you go away on holiday and rejoin when you get back. It depends what John wants - I think it's only Premiership matches they do (I may be wrong), so it would be no good for me - unless we get promoted of course!!! :D

Yes I think you're right, I think they only do premiership matches. I have no idea if John knows this or not. I've had a look at their website. It says that its a month by month contract but you have to sign up for two months initially, after that its just 30 days notice.

Anyway, you know me, I know nothing about football, but if it saves me 30 quid a month then I'm all ears :lol: more money to spend on the doggies :p

We have just subscribed to Setanta because they are showing the Villa games. I think at the moment you get 7 channels with 2 more coming on line in a few weeks. We had to pay a £10 set up charge and then £9.99 a month. They show all sorts of sport from Formula 1, Cricket, Rugby League and Union, Golf to name some of them. They do show premiership, but they also cover the Irish and Scottish leagues too.

Not sure yet how good it is because we only went live yesterday. :D

Mandy

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband has just cancelled his Sky subscription because they are just ripping everyone off!! We had the full package with sports and movies but it's going up in September and, because he only has it for the Premier League matches, he wasn't getting any value during the summer lay-off. Last year they reduced his subscription during the summer to compensate but this year they wouldn't offer anything ........ so he cancelled :angry:

I haven't heard of this Sentanta ...... I'll look into it because all he really wants to do is watch the Chelsea matches :- " ..................

Just gonna wait for the hisses and boos now (w00t) (w00t)

It's not Sentanta, Sultana or Banana - it's Se-tan-ta! :p

Setanta Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta....................... blow this for a game of conkers ........ :b :sweating:

500 x Setanta o:) o:)

:cheers:

jinnyfizz said:
Setanta    Setanta    Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta

Setanta....................... blow this for a game of conkers ........ :b   :sweating:

500 x Setanta  o:)   o:)

:cheers:

You also get some good live horse racing chanels if thats what your into, they would normally cost you more than £9.99 a month.

Linda

haven't heard of this Sentanta ...... I'll look into it because all he really wants to do is watch the Chelsea matches
You can subsribe to Chelsea TV, but not sure of the cost of that one?

mandy21 said:
haven't heard of this Sentanta ...... I'll look into it because all he really wants to do is watch the Chelsea matches
You can subsribe to Chelsea TV, but not sure of the cost of that one?

I think you've got to be a Sky Sports subscriber to get Chelsea TV?? Got a feeling they've got you stitched up every way!! :(

ok, ok I spelt it wrong :b I realised after I had posted but you can't edit the title can you?!

After a bit more research it doesn't sound so good. Apparently if you get Setanta (got it this time!) through a freeview box then you only get one channel, however that channel does have all the football on it. If you get it through a cable you get 7 channels, and if you get it through a dish then you get all 9 channels.

So, if we cancelled sky, but kept the sky box for all the freeview channels, would the box be classed as freeview or satellite? Is anyone still with me here :lol: last time we cancelled sky (when the football finished!) the box still worked for a while and then 'mysteriously' the box broke, and then 'by coincidence' sky started sending us special offers to rejoin. Am I being completely cynical or do you think that sky would mess with the signal just to spite us (w00t) I think I have too much spare time on my hands!

Has anyone else ever cancelled sky and kept the box in working condition?

Mmmmm. Think our subscription ends at the end of August so maybe we're gonna be left without 'owt :(

We did have freeview before Sky but the aeriel signal is so naff here that satellite is the only way to go (and even then the weather conditions affect transmission quite badly on occasions).

The more I hear about Sky the more I think you just can't win with them - or even break even (w00t)

I just want to watch football, im not bothered about any other sports, we have sky sports at the moment and it suits us, as long as i can watch " the toon" im happy :D

i do like the advert for it though, very funny :lol:

jezza said:
ok, ok I spelt it wrong  :b   I realised after I had posted but you can't edit the title can you?!
After a bit more research it doesn't sound so good. Apparently if you get Setanta (got it this time!) through a freeview box then you only get one channel, however that channel does have all the football on it. If you get it through a cable you get 7 channels, and if you get it through a dish then you get all 9 channels.

So, if we cancelled sky, but kept the sky box for all the freeview channels, would the box be classed as freeview or satellite? Is anyone still with me here  :lol:   last time we cancelled sky (when the football finished!) the box still worked for a while and then 'mysteriously' the box broke, and then 'by coincidence' sky started sending us special offers to rejoin. Am I being completely cynical or do you think that sky would mess with the signal just to spite us   (w00t) I think I have too much spare time on my hands!

Technically it should become Freesat! We can't get a digital signal where we live so can't get Freeview, so we were thinking of having Freesat which you pay Sky to install for you, but we worked the cost out and decided to subscribe initially to the cheapest offer that Sky had which came to the same as it would have been if we'd just installed Freesat. After a year you are meant to be able to leave Sky and be left with all the free stuff. Now of course we've upgraded to Sky Sports for the football so I don't know what would reallly happen if we stopped our subscription.

Sorry if no-one is able to follow this - it sounds a bit complicated - just ignore me, Lucy! :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
gilliwigs said:
jezza said:
ok, ok I spelt it wrong  :b   I realised after I had posted but you can't edit the title can you?!

So, if we cancelled sky, but kept the sky box for all the freeview channels, would the box be classed as freeview or satellite? Is anyone still with me here  :lol:   last time we cancelled sky (when the football finished!) the box still worked for a while and then 'mysteriously' the box broke, and then 'by coincidence' sky started sending us special offers to rejoin. Am I being completely cynical or do you think that sky would mess with the signal just to spite us   (w00t) I think I have too much spare time on my hands!

Technically it should become Freesat! We can't get a digital signal where we live so can't get Freeview, so we were thinking of having Freesat which you pay Sky to install for you, but we worked the cost out and decided to subscribe initially to the cheapest offer that Sky had which came to the same as it would have been if we'd just installed Freesat. After a year you are meant to be able to leave Sky and be left with all the free stuff. Now of course we've upgraded to Sky Sports for the football so I don't know what would reallly happen if we stopped our subscription.

Sorry if no-one is able to follow this - it sounds a bit complicated - just ignore me, Lucy! :oops:

I understand what you mean! Perhaps it is just me being paranoid. We did get the freesat for a few months then all of a sudden it just went off, and of course the box was out of waranty so the only way to get a new one would be to sign up to sky again. To be fair to sky though, when you reconnect the contract is only for 3 months not 12, so we could have cancelled again, but then the football started again so we didn't :lol:

Lal's daughter here,

I've been trying to persuade my mum to get Setanta for as long as ive been watching ice hockey (which is nearly 3 years!), and the fact there's no 12 month contract is starting to sound appealing...and the fact its only £9.99 a month or something like that?

Having only looked into Setanta to fuel my hockey cravings (i cannot believe i missed the stanley cup this year, shame on me!! :oops: ), i cant comment on the footy, however it does seem better value

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back