The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Setting Up As A Dog Walker

pippywhippet

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, I am thinking of setting up as a Dog Walker..... I worked for several years in mental health before having a few years out to be a full time mum :wub: I want to return to work and need this to be flexible, and above all, enjoyable. :) I am happy to walk in all weathers and am fit and healthy- I have looked into insurance, places to walk, transport, contracts, etc. ;)

Can anyone offer me any advice about what to expect, anything to be wary of, etc. How much is a fair price?

In terms of dog experience, I have grown up with border collies and terriers, and had whippets and a Rhodesian Ridgeback previously. I regularly look after a Staffy and a Cattle dog- and of course, I have my 3 whippets now :wub:

Thankyou for any advice :D

A useful organisation is The National Association of Registered Petsitters (NARP), so worth having a look at their website. You can register with them. I think it is quite expensive, but they provide the format for paperwork and, I'm not certain, but I think they also sort out the insurance.

My niece does dog boarding in her own home, as well as dog walking and grooming. She is very busy and has to turn people away nowadays.

I think the charges for dog walking vary depending on the location and the number of dogs you walk together. Have a look at your local area and see what other people charge. You need to consider how big an area you want to cover, and also factor in the cost of fuel and deterioration of your car. Also you may find it difficult to have a holiday if you are committed to regular dog walking.

I have helped out when my niece occasionally goes on holiday (the owners are aware of this) and have loved doing the job. What can be more enjoyable than walking dogs in beautiful countryside. :)

Good luck with whatever you decide. :luck: :luck:

In my area the dog walkers charge £8 or £9 for an hours dog walk .

There are loads of them here and they are really busy , so there must be plenty of people wanting their dogs walked :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back