The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sharpei help - very territorial pooch

svsaunders

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hey,

We have a 10 month old male Sharpei who we love dearly, he has generally been very well behaving and other than a little bit of "OTT" play biting of shoes etc he has been problem free - he was even house trained very quickly as well.

We have him from 8 weeks and he has been such a nice dog, the problem now though is that he has gotten very territorial with people coming into the house, he is ok with people he knows & likes however doesnt like strangers. The best word to describe how he acts when people come in to the house is "mental"

he does calm down eventually however thats not before he has scared the person or persons entering. I know that Sharpei's by they very breed are stubborn and strong pack animals - he certainly sees us as hit pack and its nice that he is so protective of us yet annoying that the kids cant have friends over.

Anyone got any suggestions on how we can curb his aggression towards strangers in the house ? the strange thing is that he is fine when at the park and stranger pat him etc etc - its just when they come into his house.

any Sharlei owners etc able to offer any advise or dog breeders with a little "know how" able to shed some light on this.

Thanks

I don't have a sharpei but it sounds like he is protecting you and the house - I would seek some help from a trainer to sort it out ASAP.

Welcome to Dog Forum :) I am Anna!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back