The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Shetland Sheepdog Puppy Wanted

sighthoundlover

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

i am looking for sheltie breeders as i want a puppy. It will purely be a pet. I would like a blue merle or a sable and white bitch. I am in no rush so if puppies have only just been born, it won't be a problem.

Your signature pic says 'me and my hounds'

I've looked really hard, but i can't see you - are you underneath that pile? (w00t)

No im not under that pile. I just put 'me and my hounds' coz it's like them writing the posts with me. :lol:

When i get my sheltie i may have to change it a little. :)

Thankyou for that i will keep these puppies in mind as i have found a litter of blue merles, which i would much prefer, but if i cannot have one of those i will be contacting these breeders. :)

~whitecross whippets~ said:
tell me im nosey :- " but why a sheltie when you seem to have a passion for hounds? :thumbsup:
I have always had a soft spot for shelties, i think they are adorable. I just haven't thought about actually owning one because of all my hounds. I am pretty sure now that my hounds wouldn't bat an eye lid at another dog joining them. I think that once all of my hounds have 'passed away' i shall only keep 1 or 2 after that and shelties.

Greyhounds are just a bit too big for being lapdogs. A sheltie is perfect. Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't feel normal if didn't have a lurcher or 2. I'd miss the fun of showing them at country shows and fun racing. Shelties aren't too much different to lurchers though. They were once crossed with whippets to make small lurchers, but i don't think they made very good workers. :)

sighthoundlover said:
~whitecross whippets~ said:
tell me im nosey :- " but why a sheltie when you seem to have a passion for hounds? :thumbsup:
I have always had a soft spot for shelties, i think they are adorable. I just haven't thought about actually owning one because of all my hounds. I am pretty sure now that my hounds wouldn't bat an eye lid at another dog joining them. I think that once all of my hounds have 'passed away' i shall only keep 1 or 2 after that and shelties.

Greyhounds are just a bit too big for being lapdogs. A sheltie is perfect. Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't feel normal if didn't have a lurcher or 2. I'd miss the fun of showing them at country shows and fun racing. Shelties aren't too much different to lurchers though. They were once crossed with whippets to make small lurchers, but i don't think they made very good workers. :)

well that explains it then :lol: ..thanks :thumbsup:

We have a friend whose mother has had terrible problems finding a healthy line of shelties, although after taking advice has finally found a line that seems ok. Her previous puppies died of liver failure (linked to von Willibrand's disease), and the other had to be pts at 6 months due to complications of congenital dwarfism. :(

"When purchasing a Sheltie puppy, be sure to talk to the breeder about medical problems within the kennel's bloodline. Should the breeder say that there are no medical problems in his/her kennel's bloodline, be very skeptical and find another breeder who may be more honest, and not so interested in a sale. A reputable breeder is aware of the medical history of the dogs they are breeding, and the genetics involved in trying to improve the dog. They will be honest and up front about the weaknesses inherent in the breed they work with.

Some of the diseases that Sheltie's are susceptible to are: Progressive Retinal Atrophy, Collie Eye Anomaly. These two eye diseases will cause blindness. Buyers should search for breeders who test for these diseases. The breed is also susceptible to heart disease, epilepsy, and von Willibrand's Disease (a bleeding disorder). Merle puppies with double merle inheritance may be deaf. Structural problems can include elbow and hock joint subluxation (looseness) and hip dysplasia is possible.

The Sheltie is generally healthy and hardy, generally even-tempered and highly intelligent. This breed adapts well to apartment and condominium living as long as it receives sufficient mental and physical exercise. All in all, a terrific family pet, companion, show competitor and/or working dog"

taken from profile of the sheltie

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back