The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Shiney Teeth!!

marianne

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:D

Hello all - what are your top tips for keeping dogs teeth clean?

Diet - plenty chews etc and teeth brushing - with doggy toothpaste, i do - my lurcher has immaculate teeth, but my whippet boy is starting to get some plaque build up, quite hard.  The lurcher loves her bones and will happily gnaw at them all day - i guess keeping her teeth clean - but sedge insnt so into chewing stuff (not even hide chews - gets bored!)

what can i do to clean them ? (he will let me do anything to him so i dont really want to take him to the vets, being sedated seems a bit excessive!)

any tips / ideas   :D

thanks

marianne

Some of my dogs have excellent teeth and some not so good but they all have the same food,  They all have dry crunchy biscuit and bones now and then but some need more attention.  They all have their teeth brushed with smokers toothpaste.

Rory my best in the ring dog is a wierdo and will not use his teeth for anything.  He will not bite into his dinner but licks it all up, no hes not picky and eats well but hates anything sticky on his teeth.  He loves toast and butter but likes to get it in his mouth without it touching his front teeth.  

I have to make sure his teeth are clean and sometimes use one of those green scouring pads from sainsburys, an old one just wrapped around my finger a little damp.

And dont worry all you girly Whippets out there son Frodo burys his face up to his eyes in his dinner so it does not run in the family :D

What a great idea Karen, about the scouring pads, will give that a go on the dogs that won't put up with the tooth scrapper.

Marrianne have you tried giving your whippet a pigs ear, they are a big favourite with mine.

Make sure to detatch from pig first :D  Seriously they are good and you can get them at most good pet shops now.

Hi

thanks for the tips..... will try the pigs ears (detatched!) Luce the lurcher will probably just pinch Sedges, getting twice as much as usual!!!!!

the scourer sounds like a good idea,   :D will try

thanks

marianne

well - we got the pigs ears and yep he loved it.....!!! (lucy did steal the first one - after eating hers in double quick time!!, so Sedge gets his in the sitting room while Lucy is out in the kitchen with me!!)

anyhow it seems to be working, and i found some tea-tree dog toothpaste which also seems good, havnt tried scourers yet (but dont think it will be needed now...)

thnks again!

m

Hi Marianne,

when you refer to Sedge I remember you from long ago on the old board when you were making an enquiry about having another dog.  I see you've now got Lucy - how did it all work out? I seem to remember that some answers mentioned that two were 'double trouble' which can be true, but I think with whippies two's company. (Wonder how long it is til you're  tempted to have No. 3!!!!)

Hope you're enjoying them both.  

Rachel   :)

Hi Rachel

Well Lucy (lurcher) adopted us really!!!! she belonged to someone who was no longer able to keep her - and we fostered her for a while, then adopted, shes lovely! - (wouldnt win any prizes, but a beautifull blue merle greyhoundish type - will enter her in a lurcher show!)

Sedge loves having a running mate - think its done him the world of good as shes only a young one too, (not interested in any other dogs now (unless we meet up with other whippets / sighthounds) - they have far too much fun together!)

Would say that two are no more trouble than one - infact I think its better...... as for No 3......... hhhmmmmmm will have to wait and see (would love another whippet though!)  Think a bigger garden would be in order!

Cheers Marianne

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back