The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Should I add a GSD?

Hi

I currently own a 3yr old Golden retriever Theo who has converted me to goldens and I'll always have at least one golden now but he isn't my first dog.

My first dog was a GSD , Zeus he was a beautiful dog and the light of my life and I was going to get another but 1yr after Zeus passed I got dignosed with severely bad migraines that I have had daily for the last 5yrs and I'm on medication which helps a little but I've found that loud noises can trigger them to be more painful and as German shepherds can be barky I chose not to get one and instead searched for a quieter breed as my migraines became more painful around my moms Shetland sheepdogs who bark all the time at least 20 minutes non stop at a time and I can't handle that.

so after researching i found the Golden and Theo is a typical Golden he is quiet only barks if theirs a reason but he only makes a few woofs and that's it but overall he's a pretty quiet dog but I miss having a German shepherd so much and I'd really love to have another German shepherd alongside Theo.

Now Zeus funnily enough wasn't much of a Barker he was vocal but more funny noises when he used to talk to me and Theo makes those funny noises too which don't seem to trigger my migraines it's only barking that triggers them but friends with German shepherds have said theirs are Gobby and are a barky breed so I should avoid having one but shepherds are very intelligent and eager to please most of the time and I'm sure I could teach a quiet command or something and get my shepherd to stop barking after he's alerted me to something like I do with Theo.

Zeus was a one off as his breeder doesn't breed anymore and her line has ended.

So I wanted your opinions on this do you think I should go for it and get another GSD even if Im risking it or do you think I should listen to my friends and go for a quieter breed?

The thing I miss about my GSD is his protective nature and so am looking for a dog with a protective nature my friends who have a GSD have advised I get a Rottweiler as their quiet but protective

My family think I should forget the protective trait and just stick with Goldens as I adore the breed and Theo has converted me to the breed and I am settled with him

I’d say no. You have been trying to reach a decision for months and months - I remember you posting about it last year - so if you are still undecided, stay with the status quo and keep things as they are until you are no longer so unsure.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back