The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Should Open draws be secret?

Should an Open draw be kept secret until race day?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nigel

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
In May Whippet News I was interested to see Sara Eatons comments about Open race Programmes being made available before race day - 'Don't let Whippet Racing become a compter game'.

I'm interested to find out other peoples views as to whether an Open draw should be kept secret or made available to anyone who is interested before race day?

Last edited by a moderator:
We think it was a good idea to try something new, and initially it seemed a good thing to have access to the programme before the event. Full marks for trying it out.

BUT... as was perhaps the case on the day of the Newmarket Open, which is usually a well-attended meeting as its the first on the Open calender, there were more non-runners than we would have expected. Was this a result of posting the draw ahead of the day?

We have to agree with Sara's view that the programme should only be known on the day and part of the fun IS finding out who your competition will be.

But let's not be Luddites about this - we need progress, and new things should be tried. :)

Chris and Len

chris oflaherty said:
BUT... as was perhaps the case on the day of the Newmarket Open, which is usually a well-attended meeting as its the first on the Open calender, there were more non-runners than we would have expected.
The actual facts are very different to the rumours.

Non runners at Newmarket (program published) - 21

Non runners at Champs (Secret) - 31

Non runners at Easter Open (Secret) - 25

So Newmarket actually had the LEAST number of non runners of any Open so far this year. Even taking into account the total entry at each of these opens you'll find the percentage of non runners almost exactly the same across all three opens.

Most club secretaries will let you know program details before the event if you ask. So I think you're right

But let's not be Luddites about this - we need progress, and new things should be tried.
It seems to me to be people trying to make an issue out of something that's nothing. I've even heard someone say 'not everyone wants to know their draw' - surely the solution for them is very simple don't look and don't ask... :D

Hi Nigel

I read Sarahs comments in the Whippet News, :0

I personaly think it was a great idea and a big move forward by East Anglia to publish the draw on the internet, as for the non runners at newmarket I think it was probably mainly down to the fact that the champs was the week after and no-one wanted to chance getting dogs injured the week before.

as for the argument banded about regarding people not turning up if they have a bad 1st round draw I think is rediculess as sooner or later you're gonna meet the fast dogs and it may as well be in the first round and then get a good run in the Cons rather than avoid them and meet them in the 2nd round ect.

as for those who don't travell if they have a bad 1st round draw have those concerned lost sight of what whippet racing is about, has winning become the only thing in life whats happened to true sportsmanship :(

surely true sportsmen will still turn up regarless of their 1st round draw for the love of racing or am I living in the past? ???

i'd like to see it tried for 12 months, those who don't want to know the draw needn't look i've never ducked a race just because we have draws flyers in the 1st round heat.

I hope racers let there feeling be know on the thread but from past experiance many will probably keep it to themselves. :(

i've just posted my previouse reply then voted (NO) but regarding the last comment I made on my previouse post at this time 11 have voted but only 3 have left comments?

i agree with Mark at an open you are going to get 2 runs and an afternoons sport with a slow dog regardless of the draw and i feel that most racers will still attend . Do the WCRA have the right to take superstars points away from clubs that do not tow the line?.

However if the wcra feel that they should keep the draw for champs secret then racers have to respect this , but clubs should be allowed the freedom of choice .

The only time i could see a problem is if there are 2 opens on the same day and people double enter to take the easy option ,but at least both clubs would have much nneeded

funds

whats the problem,if people want to look,let them.if you don''t want to know don't look.personally i aint bothered,as tony says its an afternoons sport with your also ran or flyers and and if 20 dogs dont turn up its a nice donation to that club,

These days I am not too bothered about knowing our draw but I used to really like to know and I wasn't the only one. I imagine that some people like knowing and some don't. Whether it spoils the fun for you or not is a matter of personal preference. I have always been able to find out though, if I have wanted to know by ringing up the secretaries. It was never a secret before. Now an issue has been made of it though, I wouldn't be surprised if some do start to keep it secret :( There seems to be a bit of an anti computer or anti internet feeling to it as no one ever objected to being able to find out by telephone before. Personally I can't see it matters how you find out. It was never secret before (except the Champs draw, which was fine by me). Also I have never been told our draw if we haven't wanted to know. Everyone always asks you if you want to know first. They don't just blurt it out at you.

By the way Tony, I don't think the WCRA are involved in the issue at all. It's just Sarah's personal opinion which she is entitled to have of course. It's just that it's now been brought up as an issue so it is interesting to hear what other people think.

Hi Judy ~ I was involved in the conversation that Tony refers to with a member of the WCRA and I was also left with the feeling that it was the opinion of the WCRA that draws must not be published in future, as we were told during the conversation that it had been stated that any club that published it's draw on the internet in future would not recieve points for the open concerned?.

But as yet we have not recieved any formal notice from the WCRA regarding the matter.

Oh! I don't know what to say. Just the internet ? Wacko!

I agree - I think the comments in Whippet News are Sara's personal views, and not the views of the WCRA. As far as I know, they haven't met up to discuss it. I don't know who makes the rules for the WN Top Ten, but possibly they could withold points in the future.

I have two views on the subject - one being my own - I love to know my draw as soon as it's done - but Steve feels very strongly that there are more reasons not to show the draw, than there are to show it. Therefore, being the good wifey that I am, my vote has to be to keep the draw secret, on behalf of Steve. I can't stand suspense, but there again I'm the same when I have unwrapped Xmas presents, and I have to wait for those!! I do feel however, that there aren't many people who wouldn't turn up for racing because of getting a bad draw, but I have heard of it happening before - especially when there's a good distance to be travelled. Another point to be considered is that we have never had a dog feature in the points system, but nothing would stop us from attending a race meeting anyway. Mark is right, it's not the winning, but the taking part, and mixing with good friends - that's what it's all about.

I am all for clubs being more open though, and think that the comment about whippet racing becoming computerised is a bit over the top - I think most forward thinking people realise that the internet is a fantastic tool, and a great source of information.

Hi All ~ regarding the points not being awarded the person we spoke to could of meant W/N points and not superstar points and after reading Sarahs comments in the W/N they might have only meant the W/N ones?

June ~ i've never said it's the taking part not the winning that matters, course it's the winning that realy matters :p

:D hi, why not do the draw on the day, it will save having to keep the draw secret ??? and every one will turn up :p I have voted NO .....

Good idea but I don't think it would work at pedigree opens - there just isn't enough time.

A pedigree open usually has around 150 dogs and the average pedigree program is about 10 pages long. Usually around 100 programs are printed. At all opens except the champs there is consolation racing and usually quarter finals so there are often 100+ races. It just wouln't be possible to create that sort of program and print it in the hour or so available... :(

sounds like pedigree racing is very interesting and well attended, maybe you could give us some of your info on pedigree racing so that we could follow by example......... :pI am not saying that non ped whippet racing is not interesting far from it, but i think the better the opens are run the more people will attend them......good luck to all for 2003 :p

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back