The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sleep Tight Wee Bloggs

urchin

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I've not been on here for ages, but thought I'd let you know the sad news.

I'm very sad to say that Bloggs was PTS last Saturday. I really don't know what had happened in his head, but my lovely, silly, completely daft Bloggs started to become aggressive just before Christmas. In early December he bit my wrist pretty badly when I'd reached for his collar to take him to his bed.

I took him to the vet to see if there was anything wrong with him (he had dropped quite a bit of weight) and found he had an unspecific infection.

Antibiotics cleared up the infection and I thought that it was maybe an uncharacteristic one-off...but then a week ago on Thursday he went for Kev in exactly the same circumstances.

It has week a dreadful week and an absolutely awful decision - but a dog who bites unpredictably is a dangerous dog...

I just thought I'd let people know as quite a few of you have met the wee pillock over the years

xx Charlie

Soooo sorry to read this Charlie, a very difficult and sad decision to make. For what its worth I believe you made the right decision for all the right reasons.

Go with lots of love Bloggs, from all in the Winterfell household xx

I'm sorry Charlie, heartbreaking for you

Run Free Bloggs x

Just wanted to offer my sympathy - I had a dog who had to be put to sleep in not too dissimilar circumstances, 6 years ago (not a Whippet) and it's a very difficult thing to do; but as you say, a dog which bites unpredictably is dangerous no matter how much we love them (and we do).

You did the right thing. Bless Bloggs (and my Lewis). They're never forgotten but we let them go with love.

Gill

Sorry to hear your sad news Charlie. I had an old whippet who turned like that. The vet said she could have had a brain tumour. I couldn't take the risk as she went for the other dogs, and my husband got quite badly bitten saving them. It had been coming on for a while, and my hubby said enough was enough. We had already started muzzling her in public. She was 13 and I like to think it was some kind of illness that made her change like that. It was when she snarled at me that I knew the time had come. It wasn't easy though, so I know how you're feeling :huggles:

RIP Bloggs x

Im so very sorry Charlie, I did speak to you by pm on facebook, and I couldnt imagine what you had to go through... :(

Sleep tight Bloggs, you were much loved in life and after xxx

I didn't know your boy as it was probably before my time but am so sorry to hear what has happened. It's a terrible decision to have to make in awful circumstances. Rest in Peace Bloggs.

Thank you all very much for your kind words.

It was an awful decision to have to make - Kev had to take him to the vets while I sat at home with tears streaming down my face.

I am choosing to remember the previous years with him - full of the kind of stoopid that only Bloggs could manage to pull off........

Like one of his first time's out ferreting - There was Bloggs chasing a rabbit across an open field, which reached the hedge before he did...rabbit dived into the hedge and Bloggs went straight after it - without slowing down at all!

Now, I don't exactly know his top speed, but it's going to be at least 30 mph, right?

So speeding dog hits old thorny hedge at the speed of a city car, to the sound of branches splintering and twigs cracking. I ran over, expecting to find him impaled on a broken stick, but no, out he trots, rabbit in mouth without a scratch on him!

Bless the wee daft Bloggs dog - you certainly made me laugh more than any other dog ever has xxx

Its good that you are trying to remember only the good times with Bloggs. Its nearly a year since the big donkey dog William went to the bridge and I think of him every day like the time he ran into a tree at the park but I often think of him on the table at the vets. Fortunately he was unconcious and never woke up.

So sorry to hear the sad news about Bloggs. :( What an awful time for you and a very hard decision to have to make. As time passes hopefully you will look back at the good memories you had with Bloggs. :wub: :wub:

Sorry to hear about your beloved Bloggs.

I had an oldie who turned like he did. So completely out of character that you just cannot believe it at first.

I was told it was either Dementia or a Tumor :(

Age is cruel.............

RIP Bloggs. Thinking of you at this time :flowers:

So sad to read but i would say the right choice,

heartbreaking as it must have been :(

Sleep tight Bloggs x

So sorry to hear this sad news. Run free Bloggs and big hugs to you. x

Rapid weight loss with no explanation is never a good sign, coupled with what's likely to have been an opportunistic infection and a massive unexplained character change does make me think that something sinister was going on. In fairness calling it a day now has probably prevented him living his last days in what could of been pain and misery for all of you. I don't think neither Bloggs or your family would of wanted that. Whilst your hurting now, ultimately, I believe you've done the right thing for Bloggs, only time will help you acknowledge that.

Rest In Peace Bloggs

Rapid weight loss with no explanation is never a good sign, coupled with what's likely to have been an opportunistic infection and a massive unexplained character change does make me think that something sinister was going on. In fairness calling it a day now has probably prevented him living his last days in what could of been pain and misery for all of you. I don't think neither Bloggs or your family would of wanted that. Whilst your hurting now, ultimately, I believe you've done the right thing for Bloggs, only time will help you acknowledge that.Rest In Peace Bloggs
I couldn't agree more - very well put.

Run free little Bloggs - chase those bunnies and have fun xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear your story, remember the good times I bet there were lots. Run fast and free Bloggs.

thinking of you hunni, you did the right thing :)

RIP Bloggs :huggles:

Thank you all - and Wild Whippies, you have managed to put into coherent words what has been going round in the back of my mind...thank you so very much x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back