The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sleep...

S

Sparkle123

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just wanted to ask...how to get more sleep.
It is my birthday (not that that is relevant really!) but how I would have loved more sleep this morning.
Since having Barley, he is up every morning between 5am and 5.30am and it is slowly 'killing' me.
Sleep deprivation is just not nice and the problem is, it wouldn't matter what time we went to bed, he would be up early. Even if we went earlier, he would be up earlier.
And it makes no difference how stimulated and exercised, etc he is.
And as a result, my sleep is severely disrupted.
I nursed my previous dog for a year before he left this world and ended up with severe insomnia and had to be put on tablets to try and get my body clock back to normal.
Now again it is out and I am suffering as a result.
He will go out, do his business and can be put back in his crate and sometimes (not all times) he will settle again but I can't just go back to sleep (partner can, he is lucky).
Any ideas on how to make Barley wake at a reasonable time?

Can your partner take a few nights of being on Barley duty and let you sleep somewhere that you can't hear him, so you can sleep through?

Can your partner take a few nights of being on Barley duty and let you sleep somewhere that you can't hear him, so you can sleep through?
Thank you Joanne. Yes, I wish. But we don't have a house like that unfortunately. One room is for OH to work in and no room for a bed and the other one is also too tiny for a bed. And even if I slept on the sofa downstairs (which wouldn't be the best option I know) I would get disturbed.

Ive always found my dogs adjust to my sleep pattern. 40+ years and loads of different dogs.. So Id say stop focusing on the dog and focus on yourself, teach yourself a couple of meditation methods to go to sleep . Dont forget dogs feel tension and if you lay there all tense and frustrated he is going to feel it and be tense too.

Ive always found my dogs adjust to my sleep pattern. 40+ years and loads of different dogs.. So Id say stop focusing on the dog and focus on yourself, teach yourself a couple of meditation methods to go to sleep . Dont forget dogs feel tension and if you lay there all tense and frustrated he is going to feel it and be tense too.
So ignore him crying to go outside to the toilet at 5am? I don't think thats right

So ignore him crying to go outside to the toilet at 5am? I don't think thats right
Reading through some of your other posts/replies I knew that was going to be your line. every piece of advice gets slapped down
I never said ignore him.

If you dont want advice dont ask for it.

Reading through some of your other posts/replies I knew that was going to be your line. every piece of advice gets slapped down
I never said ignore him.

If you dont want advice dont ask for it.
If you knew it was 'going to be my line' why suggest it then? And every piece of advice does not get slapped down.
And (I haven't finished) if you didn't say ignore him, what does 'stop focusing on the dog' mean? Same thing.
I am tense and frustrated now and he's asleep. Maybe you are wrong!
And (very finally) its my birthday, be nice! Gawd!

If you knew it was 'going to be my line' why suggest it then? And every piece of advice does not get slapped down.
And (I haven't finished) if you didn't say ignore him, what does 'stop focusing on the dog' mean? Same thing.
I am tense and frustrated now and he's asleep. Maybe you are wrong!
And (very finally) its my birthday, be nice! Gawd!

Look you asked. I replied. Ive read through your posts and it just sounds like everything suggested is met with ' we tried that' it wont work because' I cant because,,, etc . Stop focusing and ignore are two very different things.

But have it your way, I wont reply to anything else you ask . I wont waste your time or mine.

People, please... I've just come back to this spat. Enough said, let's move on.

I'm sorry you feel that way, hopefully you will have had some sleep by now and be feeling a bit better, and will choose to stay after all.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back