The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sleeping with new puppy

Newbie10

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all. I will be getting a new Cocker Spaniel puppy in a few weeks and I am researching as much as I can to try and do all the right things from the start.

I have read very mixed opinions about sleeping arrangements for the new puppy - some that advise to put the pup in a crate and ignore the whining barking etc all night, and others that say have the pup sleep near you so that they are not alone and you can settle them easier.

I would much prefer to have the pup near to me at night as it would break my heart hearing it pining all night for its mother and siblings, but at the same time I don't want to start a habit that is difficult to break. For those of you that slept with the pup at the beginning, how long did you do this for and how did you wean yourself away ?

Personally I don't want to go down the crate route, I have a kitchen that it can be closed in when I am out so I am happy with that, its just the night time sleeping that I am unsure about.

Can anyone offer me any advice ?

We knew from the strat that just as with all our other dogs Murphy would eventualy have free run of the house so he had his downstairs day bed and his night time bed in our room .. A baby gate at the top of the stairs to stop him falling and that was that. He is 2 now and his bed is still in the corner of our room ( always will be) .

Its all about personal choice.

we had our puppy in her crate over night, with the crate door open, from day 1. the first couple of days she whined, but now she knows that this is where she sleeps and she happily gets in there when i say "bed time" at night.
i need my sleep too so i'm happy that this arangement works for us all. her crate is her bedroom.
I leave the radio on low and a light on low.
in the morning i come down early and she's super happy to see me :)
she is 5 months now.
good luck!

Mine was in her crate downstairs, with the door shut, from day one. She only cried on the first night (and only for about 5-10 mins, three times) and then she slept straight through from day two onwards (although this is super lucky and I don't think this is the average experience by a long way). As much as I'd love to have her sleep in my room, and I would, I'm a really light sleeper and this wouldn't work for me what with all the fidgeting they do, and she would definitely whine if she was in my room in order to be let onto the bed.

Exactly like pongo111 mine goes in the crate herself now when I say 'bedtime' (she started doing that at about 4.5 months). She's 5.5 months now and in the morning she mostly doesn't even want to come out because she's nice and cosy!

I did it in reverse. Dudley was 22 weeks when he became mine. He slept downstairs quite happily until this year.
I had been in hospital and I missed him dreadfully so at nearly three he had a bed upstairs and sometimes sleeps on the bed with me.
Wish I had done it earlier we both sleep well.

All my whippets sleep with me and have since babies, i like my dogs close and they sleep well with us. We even went out and bought a bigger bed so we can all fit in it! Lol

Harri was in his crate at the bottom of our bed for the first few nights. Next couple he was just outside the door, then top of the stairs etc etc. It took about 2 weeks to get to the kitchen which is where we wanted him to be. We had no crying or whining at all.

We're planning on going away for a weekend so puppy will sleep in our room whilst we're away. I'm a bit concerned her routine will be disrupted so she might be unsettled when we go ....and also when we come back???!!! hope not!!
I reckon she will love sleeping in the same room though :)

We're planning on going away for a weekend so puppy will sleep in our room whilst we're away. I'm a bit concerned her routine will be disrupted so she might be unsettled when we go ....and also when we come back???!!! hope not!!
I reckon she will love sleeping in the same room though :)

Take throws unless pup will be crated - if I have to share with Harri he wants to be on the bed with me and nothing will keep him off!

Hi all. I will be getting a new Cocker Spaniel puppy in a few weeks and I am researching as much as I can to try and do all the right things from the start.

I have read very mixed opinions about sleeping arrangements for the new puppy - some that advise to put the pup in a crate and ignore the whining barking etc all night, and others that say have the pup sleep near you so that they are not alone and you can settle them easier.

I would much prefer to have the pup near to me at night as it would break my heart hearing it pining all night for its mother and siblings, but at the same time I don't want to start a habit that is difficult to break. For those of you that slept with the pup at the beginning, how long did you do this for and how did you wean yourself away ?

Personally I don't want to go down the crate route, I have a kitchen that it can be closed in when I am out so I am happy with that, its just the night time sleeping that I am unsure about.

Can anyone offer me any advice ?

Put a teddy in with it or a blanket we did with our pup and he slept very good with his teddy bear hope this helps

I guess it's whatever suits the individual. I want to keep the upstairs a dog-free area, so our new puppy is only allowed downstairs.

We got her at nine weeks, in September, and put her straight into a crate in the dining room overnight.

She cried for a couple of hours the first two nights, but settled in fine the third night and now is quite happy to go into her "den" whenever we tell her to.

I'm a dog sitter and at first found puppies being crated to be cruel but I soon changed my opinion after I had one stay for the night. Theres no way I could have let them have free reign in my bedroom. I would never have slept.
One puppy that stayed had a blanket to put over the crate which made her feel cosy and she went straight to sleep. They say to get a t shirt or a blanket that has the scent of their mother on it from the owner to sleep with.
I do have older dogs sleep on my bed it's company for them and me but puppies I couldn't cope with.

We put the crate in our bedroom. It is only closed on a night time and we leave it open during the day.
We never use it as punishment, as to him it is his little safe haven.
If he has anything he knows that he shouldn’t have he runs straight in his crate with it
It’s personal choice but it works for us.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back