The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Some Advice Please?

jazz45

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

I am considering purchasing a whippet puppy some time in the future months, however this will be my first dog.

I have researched the breed and its characteristics to an extent, and have decided they sound perfectly lovely, but I am unsure as to where to go to get myself a puppy - as I want it for a companion, as oppose to racing or showing, so am not averse to getting a runt or slightly defective dog.

I live in York, North Yorkshire (and am finding it difficult to find breeders close by) and wondered if anyone had any general advice on getting hold of a puppy, or a reputable litter, or anything that might help a first time dog lover really!!

Many Thanks,

Chris

Welcome to k9 Chris I'd just keep your eyes open for pups coming up on here I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for :thumbsup:

Good luck in your search :luck:

Welcome Chris, best of luck in your search. This is probably the best place to start. If I were you though I wouldnt be looking for a runty or slightly defective Whippet :D The puppies you see should all be happy healthy bundles especially if you want a companion.

Lastly I wouldnt get one from a person who breeds for money, they are quite easy to spot, they always have a litter and may have emailed you already! Ask people about how much they breed. A safe bet also is to PM a member who has posted a lot of posts on the forums and ask thier advice, they will always want to help you make the right choice.

Karen said:
Welcome Chris, best of luck in your search.  This is probably the best place to start.  If I were you though I wouldnt be looking for a runty or slightly defective Whippet :D    The puppies you see should all be happy healthy bundles especially if you want a companion.
Lastly I wouldnt get one from a person who breeds for money, they are quite easy to spot, they always have a litter and may have emailed you already!  Ask people about how much they breed.  A safe bet also is to PM a member who has posted a lot of posts on the forums and ask thier advice, they will always want to help you make the right choice.

personally i think if new members pm a k9er for advice they will only be getting one persons viewpoint...i think its much better to ask for advice in an open forum where you will get a range of opinions :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are willing to consider an older dog, why not try JR Whippet rescue?

Welcome to K9 :)

Welcome to K9 - Good luck with your search. :luck:

Karen said:
Welcome Chris, best of luck in your search.  This is probably the best place to start.  If I were you though I wouldnt be looking for a runty or slightly defective Whippet :D   The puppies you see should all be happy healthy bundles especially if you want a companion.
Lastly I wouldnt get one from a person who breeds for money, they are quite easy to spot, they always have a litter and may have emailed you already!  Ask people about how much they breed.  A safe bet also is to PM a member who has posted a lot of posts on the forums and ask thier advice, they will always want to help you make the right choice.

depends what you mean by 'slightly defective'! There's lots of whippies who aren't show standard, but are absolutely perfect from a doggy point of view :wub: :wub:

urchin said:
Karen said:
Welcome Chris, best of luck in your search.  This is probably the best place to start.  If I were you though I wouldnt be looking for a runty or slightly defective Whippet :D    The puppies you see should all be happy healthy bundles especially if you want a companion.

depends what you mean by 'slightly defective'! There's lots of whippies who aren't show standard, but are absolutely perfect from a doggy point of view :wub: :wub:

i agree.... having a sound temperament is all i ask from mine.... :huggles:

clairej810 said:
If you are willing to consider an older dog, why not try JR Whippet rescue?
Welcome to K9 :)

second that :)) ..........My first dog was a 14yr old whippetx I had till she passed away at 17, and then I now have a dog I rehomed when he was 5yrs.........both have been easy peesy dogs 'ready trained' (obviously some rescue dogs need more input/training/patience than others, but many just need love and a place to call their own) there are lots of young dogs in rescue too!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back