The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sore Nose

Lisa S

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have just bought a basketball for my boy and he absolutley LOVES it (bit obsessed really) I think it may be because it is orange but there is something very special about this ball as he loves me to kick it and runs after it but then he likes to amuse himself by rolling it with his nose and nudging it around but the problem is that he is making his nose really sore with it. I have had to take it off him today as his nose is very sore and red but he is crying for the ball :blink: does anyone have any good ideas as to how I can let him play with it whilst protecting his nose?

Thanks

Oh bless him, he must really love that ball :wub: :wub:

I'm sure when my girls were little their school had basketballs that were much softer than the normal ones, perhaps something like that would keep him happy without making his nose sore?

Ruby makes her nose sore when burying bones, or biscuits in the house, behind cushions etc. someone called it "carpet burn" lol.

But if it is happening just when he plays with the ball maybe you could put a bit of cream on his nose before play to give a bit of protection.

Poor we love.

Toddy get obsessed with certian toys. I work his toys on rotation. That way they remain special and he does not loose interest in them.

Noses are very special in dogs with all sorts of nerves, sensors and receptors. I think that you are going to have to be cruel to be kind and take if off him for a week to let his nose heal. Perhaps he could be allowed it as a special treat for short peroids of time once his nose is healed. Sounds like you are going to have to find him something else tho. Toddy has a few balls that he loves. One is a large soft stuffed baby ball with a bell in it (hard to find but bought second hand on eBay. The other is a ribeena ball (collectable but ruined) these are quite expensive but can be found on eBay. He also has a small hard rubber dog ball. The other suggestion is a mini football that lots of shops sell. These are smooth leather effect and not as heavy as a basketball. One of these may help stop a re ocurrance of the nose problem.

I hope he is better soon

Thanks - I will try to find a lighter ball in orange as I am convinced that is something to do with it as he has other balls that are not of interest at all :blink:

Hi again

have been doing some reserch.

Dogs apparently see yellow best followed by red and orange.

If you cannot find a softer orange ball, yellow or red might work for him too

Toddy loves his red Wubba kong toy. It has a webed fabric coating with tails and is like a double ball. Really robust, squeeks and is a great tugging toy

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back