The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sore Paws

john allen

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our dog Coco, a Border Terrier, constantly has sore paws. This appears to be caused by the very wet and muddy walking conditions we have been experiencing for the past 3 months.
We bath and clean her paws after walking ( mostly running in her case on grass in parks and woods etc.) We have tried drops of iodine in warm water ( online vet advice ) which did seem to help initially, but now not so successful.
We would much appreciate any suggestions.

Musher's Secret and similar paw wax treatments could be worth a try. Presumably her pads aren't worn, given the conditions - could she have an allergy to something? What are the symptoms?

Thanks. Inside pads a little inflamed. Just licks them incessantly.

I'm not an expert, just guessing, but is there any chance there's some irritant on the ground, like salt? And is it possible that her licking has become a habit, and it's the licking itself causing the irritation?

Boots are a possibility to protect paws...

I've just noticed that it was an online vet you use - I'd be taking her to a 'real' vet.

With horses, muddy conditions can cause a problem with heels and lower kegs called mud fever. If skin gets slightly broken, say by grit, the damp conditions are ideal for setting up bacterial infections. One of the treatments is diluted Hibiscrub. Don’t know if it’s safe for dogs though. Horses don’t tend to lick their lower legs, and also larger animals so maybe wouldn’t be so sensitive to adverse effects anyway. And i don’tknow if dogs get the equivalent of mud fever.

Dilute Hibiscrub is fine for dogs:)

Thanks for this advice. Coco appears to have stopped licking for moment. I did bath her feet in water plus Iodine again. So I will monitor it for the next 2 days or so. If this does not work I will look for Hibiscrub. Where will I find it?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back