The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Spaying: Ovariohysterectomy Vs Ovariectomy?

lorna anne

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Can anyone give me advice as regards pro's and con's of the ovariohysterectomy (ovaries and uterus removed) as opposed to the ovariectomy (where only the ovaries are removed)? Also, there are apparently vets who perform spaying by means of keyhole surgery. Anyone had it done this way?

The bitch will require a general anesthetic for either proceedure. In Europe ovariectomy is becomming commonplace. It is regarded as and generally carried out as a 'keyhole' proceedure. The main point of it is that it is less invasive and recovery is quicker. It is usually more expensive to have done as not all vets have the equiptment, training or expertise. I would certainly consider it in the future as my vets have just gone 'state of the art' hi-tech.

How does this affect pyometra in the bitch? Is it ruled out or still a possibility?

Great link.

I believe it costs about £100.00 more for keyhole surgery on average.

From the link it would appear Ovariectomy is the preferred route and I have heard really good feed back about keyhole surgery for the op. Gracie is a while off this but I will definitely look into keyhole depending on the expertise available within travelling distance of home. We are lucky enough to have Leahurst Veterinary (Liverpool Uni's vet section) on our doorstep so, apart from my own vet, I shall be contacting them for their input when the time comes.

Thanks for this Lorna Anne. I didn't realise there was a choice, and since I've been worrying about keeping Grace quiet enough after the operation (having had a kitten who gave herself a hernia after spaying - nightmare!) it would be great to find someone who will take just the ovaries with keyhole surgery. Must be much quicker and easier for them to get over.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back