The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Spaying small/toy breeds

Doradawg

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all, my first post on the forum.

I’ve been reading lots of debates around the ideal time to spay and the pros/cons. It seems that the main concern surrounding spaying at the young age of 6 months is to do with lack of maturity and that the growth plates are not fully formed.

I’ve scanned the studies and they seem to be in larger breed dogs. In fact one study that included 35 breeds, concludes that for all the smaller dog included in the research there were no detectable disadvantages in spaying at 6 months.

My old dog (almost 13) was spayed at 6 months, as it was very much the done thing at that time. Fortunately, she’s very fine and well. However, I’m really interested in finding out more as I will be getting a small puppy soon.

Thank you

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.

To avoid assumptions, is it another girl that you will be getting?

Hi and welcome. How sensible of you to think this through before getting your puppy.

Nowadays thinking is that it is best for the dog to have had at least one season and preferably two before spaying. Of course a lot also depends on breed - larger breeds tend to mature more slowly than small ones - and also on your management strategies during the season. For instance, if you live with people who might be careless with leaving doors and gates open, it might be better to spay following the first season, but if everyone is reliable, then after the second is probably better.

Thank you Hemlock. It’s a small/toy breed. I’m thinking one or two seasons.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back