The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Spaying

Michele83

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I guess this is a bit like the neutering thread but female-focused. Does anyone have any advice or opinions on when I should get my female whippet spayed?

I will ask the vet too, but thought it helpful to gather different people's advice.

Thanks

The risk of pyometra increases with each season so for me this is a clearer choice (in favour of spaying) than castration.

But does this mean that you have entire male and female dogs? Because that raises all sorts of further potential problems, like keeping them apart when the female is in season and dealing with the male's possible frustration.

But does this mean that you have entire male and female dogs?

Thanks for the advice. I don't understand this bit, sorry. I just have one whippet, a female who is currently 4 months.

I neuter females inbetween seasons, so 3 months after their first season, obviously you have to take precautions during that season. Doing it 3 months after is when their hormones are most settled.

Hello,
We have a puppy and asked the vet this question.
She said there are 2 schools of thought, those who say before the first season, other say allow her to have one and then do it.
If you don't intend to breed then do it.
Does anyone know if it calms females down?

Going off my own experience spaying females does not alter them in any way. I have been told that they could be less likely to exercise as much and so will put weight on, but my dogs have carried on just the same and if weight gain did start to happen simply reduce food intake a bit.

I spay prior to 1st estrus *unless* she’s a potential dam - then she needs to grow-out retaining good type, etc, plus pass all relevant health / heritable issues tests, plus possess excellent temp, and reach 2-yrs age without developing any problematic issues.

I spay non-breeding Fs B4 their 1st estrus to gain the extra protection afforded from mammary tumors, which are sadly common in dogs (4X as common in F Dogs as in F humans) & are mostly fatal on diagnosis: in the U-S, nearly 7 of 10 Fs who are Dx’ed with mammary malignancies are euthed at the same appt - rads taken at the time show metastasis in her lungs, & there’s no treatment.
This isn’t due to neglect or carelessness - it’s simply that by the time she shows symptoms & is taken to the vet, usually metastasis has already occurred, silently & with no symptoms whatever.
:(
So by 6-MO, my non-breeding Fs (& often my Ms, too) are already desexed.
Spay prior to 1st estrus eliminates 99.99% of the risk of breast cancer. :)

- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back