The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Speechless Shocked And All This From Rspca!!!

posh totty

whippet servant
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
http://www.freewebs.com/manytearsrescue/rspca.htm

THEY SHOOT DOGS - DON'T THEY?

03-09-09

Sylvia's blog . “They shoot dogs don’t they?”

The last month has caused me sleepless nights and misery. I want to explain why to all and then give anyone permission to use my story wherever they want to.

Some years back I moved to a small town called Rockingham in North Carolina. Whilst there the person we bought our property through begged me to look at the huge refurbished building which was the Humane Society. An amazing women having seen the local dog pound had agonized what to do to change things. The day she had gone up to look the pound ( which was not manned and had 15 or so dogs in a compound and no shade and a bucket of water in which was a small pup who had drowned. This pup was so desperate for water she had climbed up and in to the bucket and could not get out.

She witnessed the purpose dug hole the dogs, at the end of their 3 day stay, were dropped into so that one of the two dog catchers “Bonk” or “Coon” could shoot them. She had heard some would scramble out so then were shot on the run. She also knew the tiny kittens or pups had their necks rung and others went into the gas chambers where you could hear them screaming clawing then their lungs popping.

This lady raised the money with other animal lovers and built the dogs and cats a comfortable shelter. Sadly to do this the place was partially funded by the town, so that meant all the animals no longer went to the pound but Coon and Bonk delivered them there. But the numbers were huge, so at three days they were carted off to the same fate.

In a year no director had been found to run the place and the poor animals still suffered as no one adopted them. I looked and knew I could change things but I would have to learn to euthanize. This word means painless death!!!! As a vegan this was the most terrible thing to do. Vets were keen to teach me on poor dogs just to show me but I resisted until I could not ignore the way these animals were handled and of course their terrible fate. I took the job and ALWAYS remember vividly the first poor dog I killed and ffter her the hundreds. I would walk up the corridor picking my friends as they trustingly wagged their tails. Beautiful dogs, pups, cats and kittens. In one day there were over 100.

Wherever possible we transported them to safety but it was rare as no space could be found. To shoot a dog is such a chance thing, one move and the poor animal suffers terribly. It's totally inhumane and barbaric.

Well I did change it and in turn it changed me. I am a dog murderer and always will have that on my conscience. Worse still, once I had the place running well, I left and fled to Wales as I could not go on.

So here I am doing my best to help when I first hand came across this incident. I was told by a dog breeder that the RSPCA told her that they prefer to shoot dogs to kill them. I could not believe I had moved away from that to come to this!!! So I called and asked RSPCA inspector Richard Abbot and was told "yes that’s right". I was gob smacked so called the local RSPCA who said there was no way this was true. They also said they were the local branch and had nothing to do with the inspectors? Although the inspectors do work out of their buildings.

I actually know our local branch do a great job, but am confused as both inspectors and the branch have the same name. I told a friend who told others and one wrote to the RSPCA and asked. Below are the replies. Before you read them can I point out if a dead bolt is used it would have to be put up to a dogs head - actually touching it. Could this be done to aggressive un-socialized dog? In the first RSPCA letter they say they advised the owners to call other rescues and yet in the next they say the dogs skin was too bad and they were too aggressive to home. The officer I spoke to said they had not asked any other rescue for help and that as officers went round on their own that was the easiest method and most humane (in his mind). He also said that that if it had been a large number of dogs they maybe could have done something. I'm not sure what he meant by that - did he mean. get press and TV and general public to cough up and save them? I wonder if the general public like paying for the dead bolt?

I moved to get away from the unbearable and here I am back where I started - it haunts me. You have all seen the skin problems that some dogs who come to us have and the we get right as well as the unsocialized terrified dogs that we turn around and get homes. Can you imagine the poor dogs below where somehow restrained with a dead bolt to their heads!!!!!

Where is my God to watch over these poor dogs? I thought “We are the voice of the voiceless, and through us the dumb can speak”. Night after night this haunts me so now I write it for you all to read.

Your local RSPCA centres are run independently and do a great job but let’s, as dog loves, put a halt to this barbaric practice. I and many others would be glad to deal with these dogs that the RSPCA officers are not trained well enough to handle. A head bolt needs to be held up to a dogs head. Did they not say these dogs were too aggressive to home? The RSPCA felt only the week before that the owners should try to find a rescue to take them. Were they not aggressive then? Was their skin good then? Are the RSPCA not able to help dogs with bad skin?

Ask questions PLEASE!!!!!

This is the first letter from the RSPCA

20-08-2009

Thank you for your enquiry. Please accept our apologies for the delay in replying. We receive a very large volume of enquiries here and have to prioritise to deal with urgent animal welfare issues first.

There has been some misinformation posted with regard to this case. The facts are as follows:

We received a call on 23 June this year from a member of the public relating to 10 German Shepherd dogs at an address in Pontardawe, in south Wales. The caller said the dogs owner, a relative, had died and the dogs had been living on their own.

An RSPCA inspector visited the premises that day and assessed the animals. The inspector took the decision that none of the dogs were at all suitable for rehoming due to concerns about their aggressive behavior and lack of socialization with people. The dogs were also suffering from a severe skin condition.

We explained the next-of-kin that they should contact other rescue groups for help. The next-of-kin were made fully aware that if the RSPCA became involved, the dogs would be euthanized.

The owners next-of-kin later contacted the RSPCA again and said they had been turned down by other charities who were unwilling to take on the animals and they signed over the dogs, fully aware of what would happen.

It is the RSPCAs raison d'etre to prevent cruelty to animals, and it was decided this sad, but ultimately necessary, outcome for the dogs was the best way to prevent the animals any further suffering. The decision was not made lightly and, as always, it was made with the best interests of the animal at heart.

Thank you again for contacting the Society.

Kind regards

RSPCA HQ Advice Team

So another letter was sent asking them again - did they shoot the dogs? This is the reply:

Thank you for your further enquiry.

Yes, they were. A decision was made following a discussion between eight RSPCA officers that the most humane form of euthanasia would be to use a captive bolt. This would minimise distress to the dogs, while also being the safest method for those people responsible for dealing with the animals. Restraining the dogs and then shaving a limb to prepare for a lethal injection would have caused these animals unnecessary suffering, due to the animals suffering from a severe skin condition.

Thank you again for contacting the Society.

STILL IN DOUBT?

If you are still in doubt about this method of euthanasia click the link below and go to 'Methods for the euthanasia of dogs and cats- English.pdf'. Once in the document go to pages 11 and 20.

http://www.icam-coalition.org/resources.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Really cannot deal with too much of this sort of thing :(what I mean is the dogs ended up dead and that is it for me ! too late to do anything now .

Last edited by a moderator:
What a caring organisation?! We don't live far away from sylvia, she does some fantastic work, if only people won't bury there heads in the sand and would act and ask the questions that sylvia asks us to we would be able to manifest a change. Wasn't it the RSPCA vets who were quoting about the health and welfare of breeds in last years pedigree dogs exposed????

not dealing with to much of this sort of thing is why there still a problem. working in rescue for years you learn sometimes a dog has to be PTS but doing that the right why is as important as finding good home for the ones that can be rehomed. These dogs may have gone but what about the next one to come along surly any dog owner who cares wants to make sure the best done for all dogs weather it be rehoming or PTS in the kindest way if that is realy what is needed

Its not that long ago the RSPCA used to electrocute the dogs ! :rant: Quite a big stir in Nottingham there was . Wouldnt be surprised if they still used it on the QT

Cheaper you see. apparently when the did greyhounds they would have to make sure the box they `did ` them in was securly tied as it took more amps ,or what ever, to do the GH than other dogs .

At work we have folks ringing about finding stray cat, and the RSPCA say to put them back where theyve found them . not always a good idea

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back