The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Stephen Hawking has died. :---( Godspeed, & thank U.

leashedForLife

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register

Stephen in his early college years was smart, but lazy & unfocused.
The diagnosis of his progressive illness forced him to find a task, use his mind, stop punting & drinking & messing around, because he was told point-blank that he had little time left.
He far outlived the gloomy predictions of his first Drs, & he did sublime work - advancing physics & exciting nonscientists around the world.

Rest, Stephen - there are many now who carry the spark U shared. U will be missed, but many hands will do the work - & U will be remembered, for a very very long time.

A great man, one of the few who could successfully translate exceptionally complicated theories into something someone like me to could just about understand. I shall miss him, and I di have a lump in my throat when I read about his death earlier :(

A very sad day! Did anyone watch the film they made about him?

I thot it was a genuine pity that his illness destroyed his 1st marriage - he made his wife into his caregiver, & when she could no longer do it as the task became overwhelming, they hired professionals to care for Stephen - which IMO should have been done from the 1st; once past the initial symptoms, caring for an ALS patient quickly becomes exhausting, IME, as their needs endlessly grow, & their care needs to be rotated so that no one person is the sole prop & aide to them.
With the nonstop intervention of outsiders in their home, any sense of privacy was invaded to such a degree that their marriage was collateral damage; Stephen didn't make good boundaries & protect a core area that was "theirs" & not to be shared with his aides. I felt very badly for his wife, who truly loved him & had worked ferociously to help him when no one else was there to share the burden. :(
She married him before his Dx, & was genuinely devoted, but couldn't bear having everything, every part of their lives, given to his aides. // No matter how needy the client, or how close U are to them emotionally, they are not YOUR spouse, & U must maintain some personal distance.
His fame only made it worse, as Stephen enjoyed the attention, & their time together as a couple shrank to nothing. He gave it away. :headshake:

- terry

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

An Einstein quote that Stephen deeply appreciated.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back