The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Strange Behaviour

J.T.

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Can anyone explain why my 6yr old lurcher bitch keeps licking the new pups mouth? I know it's supposed to be a sign of submission but she doesn't just lick the outside, she gets right inside the pups mouth. This can go on for ages, the pup doesn't seem to mind as she stays still and opens her mouth wide. It's really wierd :blink: and quite irritating after a while, it sounds gross :x Thinking back she did the same thing to our Bedlington when he was younger but hasn't done it to him for years.

I did wonder if it's because pup is teething and maybe she can taste blood?? Has anyone else ever known of this? I'm hoping she will stop doing this soon or I'll have to invest in some earplugs so I can't hear it :))

Sorry no advice but it gave me a good giggle :lol:

amber did this to her pups when she had a litter. it seemed to us that it was part cleaning/grooming, part tasting (what you had? is it something i DIDNT get?) but it stopped after a few weeks.

she's probably got very strong maternal instincts. have you bred from her? some intact bitches who havent been mated do display signs of longing. some will, after a season, taking an item to their bed and treating it like it was a puppy.

This kind of behaviour is used in the dogs/pack bonding process, it's perfectly natural and should calm down to ear cleaning and grooming each other in time :D

If my memory serves me right didn't Pam ask about this when Jilly and Jakey where small ?

Julie

milo cally lacey and minnie did it to indy when she came they still do it a little especaly milo so its not just a girl thing there same dogs wash each other and cleane each others ears allso shelby and boris eras get a wash but they never wash back.

The 2 dogs that dont do it boris and shelby both lads are the ones Indy prefars to sleep on or with. I think I have a prity cloes bonded pack with just an odd grumeble over sleeping places and no food fights. I would let her gey on with it and just turn the telly up so you carnt here it

Our two litter mates do it to each other though the wee bitch seems more keen than the dog,she cleans and licks him but she herself is filthy especially on her belly & bits :x just wish she'd pay more attention to herself so that I would'nt have to do it (w00t) I use a cloth mind you not my tongue :x

05whippet said:
Our two litter mates do it to each other though the wee bitch seems more keen than the dog,she cleans and licks him but she herself is filthy especially on her belly & bits  :x   just wish she'd pay more attention to herself so that I would'nt have to do it  (w00t)   I use a cloth mind you not my tongue  :x
HA HA HA can just picture you now (w00t) :x

Thanks all. Some interesting ideas there. The older bitch, Hebe, was spayed at 6months so has never had pups but when she was about 18months I fostered a litter of hand rear pups and Hebe helped me. I bottle fed them and then passed them over to Hebe and she cleaned them up,top to tail wash and also taught them some manners. As she's got older she has got less tolerant of the really young ones but obviously likes Scrumpy, the new pup.

When she was doing the wierd licking thing earlier one of the pups teeth fell out :oops: :oops:

Strike Whippets said:
This kind of behaviour is used in the dogs/pack bonding process, it's perfectly natural and should calm down to ear cleaning and grooming each other in time  :D
Couple of years ago I have read a paper ; "The Natural Antibiotic in Dog's Saliva is a Bacteriophage" which explained that the phage is passed on by member of the pack to the pups by licking in the mouth.

tank licks bonnie,clyde and lucys mouth/teeth and ears all the time! but they never return the favour :x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back