The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Stud Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Showing' started by liza, Sep 24, 2010.

1. liza

liza New Member Registered

i found your girl jenny wren of rystone on the whippet achives a typical whippet

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2010
  2. bertha

bertha New Member Registered

I can't find him on the archives but have found a couple of his litter mates. Interesting, he goes back to the Oakbarks on his dams side, totally show bred. Can I ask why to got him??

3. cairo

cairo New Member Registered

He's definately on there....Just been looking myself.

I got him purely as a pet ......to love and share my sofa ;)

4. quintessence

quintessence New Member Registered

Anne, I had forgotten that she was by Ch Robmaywin Stargazer of Allways, another boy I love to bits.

Jenny

5. liza

would any breeder concider letting their dog be used at stud without the stud fee and handing iver the registration form without any contract]

6. quintessence

I wouldn't even consider letting my boy be used at stud!

7. liza

the reason i asked the question is there is a person ringing round asking people with stud dogs to give her the form and not pay for the stud until she sells the pups she has approached myself and i turned her down i myself wont let my boys go out to stud to many puppies around not enough homes

8. chelynnah

chelynnah Whippet Servant Registered

I think the only situation where that might happen is if the people know each other well, and even then I have to say I would still want to sign a contract (whether I owned the stud or bitch) just so both of us were covered.

I do know there are some stud dog owners who are doing stud fees slightly differently and I actually kind of like the idea - they are charging a nominal fee for the mating and then once the pups are born and have made it past a certain number of weeks they are paid a set amount per live pup. I don't know if the registration papers are given at the time of mating or after the payment per live pup (probably depends on the situation and how well they know each other), but I do like the idea.

But as to the question of non-payment and taking away the signed forms - as a bitch owner I would not feel comfortable taking the signed form without at least some kind of deposit and signed contract. As the stud owner I think it would be even more important to cover yourself.

Wendy

9. June Jonigk

June Jonigk Active Member Registered

Racing is a much smaller community, but I don't know anyone who uses a contract. I suppose we all know each other. There are some stud dogs who are used more frequently because the owner doesn't charge a stud fee.

10. 05whippet

05whippet New Member Registered

Hi Anne....being the owner/breeder/handler of what some people would call a smaller bitch (18ins) I can honestly hand on heart say that I do think that people's attitudes towards a more correctly sized whippet do seem to be changing somewhat..I was rather worried when I first brought "Folly" out into the showring that she might be knocked for her more - shall we say - compact size but so far I have had nothing but very complimentary comments made about her in fact she has been likened by a lot of people to Pip Campbell's Mithrandir Spider Orchid,who I know is'nt a particularly old bitch she was born in 88 but does go back to some of the aforementioned older lines...now that she (Folly) is out of the Puppy & Junior classes it remains to be seen whether she will hold her own or not up with the "big girls" but certainly I am beginning to be of the belief that quite a lot of people within the breed (I include myself here too!) realised that size was indeed becoming an issue...in my own case I placed other faults to be corrected higher up my "to fix" list than the age old height issue but I do believe that now that we have mostly found our own preferred type of whippet with the movement that we desire we can now start to address the height & with our last litter we certainly seemed to hit that particular nail on the head as none of the puppies were oversized at all..the only dog from the litter stands at 20ins. So now if we can keep on top of it we shall be happy!! ;)

11. bertha

I remember Spider Orchid very well, your Folly is very similar in a lot of ways, maybe with a tiny bit more bone but that's just my opinion! Well done for starting to address size, I wish more people would do the same.

Stud fees and contracts. I used to charge a fee and a free return mating if there are no puppies. Th first mating to prove a dog I have never charged for, but thats just me.

I would expect the fee to be paid at the time of mating then sign, unless I knew the person well!

12. liza

talking of size as everyone knows i have had a problem with size it took just over 4 year to get the size down my young bitch is the correct size she is 19 inches and i must say she does look small in the ring i have heard people call her the old fashion whippet

13. chelynnah

chelynnah Whippet Servant Registered

The only reason I would use a contract would be if all fees weren't paid up front. I wouldn't have a problem ever signing a contract, but that would be the situation where I would insist there was one - that way there's no chance of things going wrong later. You hear stories (in all breeds and in all countries) of friends who didn't have a contract falling out because things weren't spelled out etc... How is that in the best interests of the dog.

If all monies are paid up front then I wouldn't think there would be a need, but as I said, I still wouldn't have a problem with it.

14. quintessence

Liza, I am not having a go at you but how can you say that your bitch is the correct size when the standard says

Size

Desirable height: dogs: 47-51 cms (181/2-20 ins); bitches: 44-47 cms (171/2-181/2 ins).

Even if you think the size standard is wrong it is immaterial, it's a bit like me saying my dog is slightly short in upper arm, but only a little bit, therefore is does not matter, or my dog is slightly long in second thigh but only a little bit so it does not matter, or my dog is a little bit narrow in front but only a little bit so it does not matter, it does matter, and size matters. In addition why do we coin the term "old fashioned whippet", why do we not describe dogs as "modern type of whippet".

Jenny

15. liza

yes i know the standard i was told she was to small to show as when she matures she will drop 1 /2 an inch into her pasterns which will make her 18 1 /2 inches she is only 14 months old

16. Windsdream

Windsdream New Member Registered

What would people be prepaired to pay for a stud fee.

I have bred 2 litters and the price of the stud dog was very different.

17. bertha

I wouldn't have a clue! Not now, when I was paying for a stud the most I paid was £75-00 for a good championship show winning dog with winning progeny in the ring. I think people just charge what they want to now. I certainly would not pay a lot for an untried dog or one who has no progeny in the ring to show what he can produce.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
  18. liza

i find stud fees range from £200 to £600

even unproven dogs are £200 upwards

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
  19. 05whippet

05whippet New Member Registered

20. starswift

starswift STARSWIFT Registered

i agree with you pamela! you want the lines you have to pay and if somebody is having money problems then they shouldnt breed, what if bitch needs a c section and all pups are dead if people ant afford the dogs they have then they shouldnt consider breeding more! putting tin hat on now :-