The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Success with the akita and raw!

Cash_Dolly

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
A couple of you commented on a previous post of mine about kibble for my BF's akita while I tried to get a bit of raw in her! She has been getting Canaghan kibble but I have been giving her bits of whatever raw my whippets get and she has finally started eating the raw meat better and even had her first meaty rib bone at the weekend! Absolutely loved it! I am so pleased! :thumbsup:

Is the BF happy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! he is happy for her to try whatever the little ones are having now!

Congratulations, well done!

Thanks for the update too :)

My little angels will not touch raw . I think they are just too old to make the change - 14,12 and10. We always start puppies onto raw but change to kibble as most owners prefer it.

I think that I would keep any new dog I get on raw. It does seem more expensive than even top of the range kibble though. But in my heart- and my brain!- I know it's what they are designed to eat. Well more accurately I feel they are scavengers and so are probably opportunistic feeders,designed to eat whatever they can find.

I am so glad I switched to raw! I was still giving a very small amount of kibble too but the whipplets have now decided it is rubbish in comparison and refuse to eat it! :) which is fine by me

excuseme I was hoping you could help me though. I have an ongoing concern that hey are not getting all their nutrients (they are healthy happy and in great condition but it is just a worry for me)

They get all sorts of meat - beef, chicken, rabbit, pheasant, tripe

meaty bones - chicken wings, ribs

fish - raw white fish or tined sardines

the odd egg sometimes raw sometimes scrambled

a small amount of veg

is this enough or is there anything else I should add in that you feel is missing? typical meals vary - this morning they had chopped up beef and a chicken wing each, last night sardines, an egg and small amount of liver etc etc is this enough variety? I know you are the go to person on raw feeding!

thanks

It sounds as if you are offering a lovely assortment of meats and types including bones and various types of offal (liver, heart, kidney, pancreas and I also lungs). Don't be afraid if your meat is fatty or gristly this is all part of a balanced raw diet . Some of my lot won't all eat rabbit unless it's been minced (with bone in) of course, I have no idea why!

Sounds like your lot are getting a fantastic variety in their diets.

Cash Dolly , both of our local supermarkets do fresh sardines on the fish counter and we get about 20 for £1.60 ..!!! much nicer than the tinned stuff and much much cheaper . Mine are like seals when i offer them one ..head back one gulp lolol

Great thanks! I just want to make sure they are getting all that they need!

I have never seen the fresh sardines but I will have a look next time as my dogs love the tinned ones so I am sure they would go mad for fresh!!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back