The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sudden problem with Salmon oil?

Gazhasteeth

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I started giving my 10 yr old Staffy/lab cross Salmon oil about 18 months ago for his arthritis.
Slowly built up to 5 pumps, twice a day and had no problems.
About 10 days ago the runs started and I eventually stopped the oil and saw some improvement after a few days.
Yesterday reintroduced the oil at 2 pumps and the next day the runs are back.
Has anyone else had a dog develop intolerance over a period of time?

Have you checked the use-by date?

cant find one on it, just says consume within 9 months of opening.
its been open about 6 weeks.

I used green lipped mussel capsule from Holland and barrett...human ones 500mg they were amazing for our lurcher

All the research I did on Salmon oil said its a complete waste of time as an anti inflamatory unless you give them the correct dose, which is a lot more than people think.
Even the bottle says 8 pumps a day for his weight.
Obviously you have to build up slowly, but he's been on that amount for 18 months now without issues.
I've bought some Canivet joint tablets that have Mussel extract in them, but don't want to add something else to the picture until I can work out whats happening.
Thanks for the tip about H&B

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back