Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Suitable treats for a dog with diabetes

Gemma Simmonds

Registered
Partner
K9 Designs
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,
My aunties dog has recently been diagnosed with diabetes and she trying to find treats / food that is suitable... can anyone help with advise.
Thank you

for treats, i'd use any primarily-protein food - diced chkn-breast or turkey-breast, lean beef cubes, freeze-dried lamb lung or green tripe, etc. Fish can be excellent, & freeze-dried whitefish or salmon is very popular.

High-glycemic foods would be ones to especially avoid -
"white" foods, such simple starches as saltine crackers, white flour, white pasta, etc, are particularly notorious for spiking blood-sugar shortly after they are eaten, & then there's a subsequent drop, which is not good, either. // SLow rising & slow falling is a better pattern. & staying within safe zones on both ends [high & low].

more here -
Glycemic index and glycemic load for 100+ foods - Harvard Health
& here -
Glycemic Index

To find the GI of any food, go to:
GI Database

QUOTE,
"To generate a list of all high-GI foods, enter '(more than) 55' in the glycemic index field.
For a list of low-GI foods, enter '(less than) 55' in the glycemic index field."

[Note:
enter the number without the quote marks. I replaced the math symbols > and < with the words that they represent.]

raw carrot & raw apple are both low-GI, & they are often very popular with dogs; they can be diced for ease of delivery.

- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back