Teaching an old dog new tricks

Josie

Administrator
Administrator
Registered
Wagso - Clevedon Dog Walking Services
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I was thinking the other day.... Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

I would be interested to try it!

Has anyone here started training their dog at an older age?

I believe all dogs can be trained, the only experience I have had with an old one was a Jack Russell that we took on after its owners died, (both within a week). No idea how old he was but he was definitely an elderly lad, we got him to walk without pulling, to sit and wait for permission to eat, (the only sensible way to feed a number of dogs), sit and down. He picked them up reasonably quickly. We didn't try any more advanced stuff but I do not think their would have been a problem if we had. Oh and his recall was ok, but not sure if it was him responding to our call or simply him following the others back.

Ah there may well be some chance of him rolling over for me yet then!? :D

He's rubbish at staying when I ask him to!! but then I get the giggles because he won't let me move a few paces before he's running at me like some long lost reunion.... so maybe I need a bit of training to!

Jimmy is about seven years old and is definitely his own dog! :D

Yep, and he basically takes us out for a walk and pretty much does what he wants at home (within reason) :D

Ditto! My favourite is when he’s had enough so just takes himself upstairs to bed!

Ah there may well be some chance of him rolling over for me yet then!

He might find it uncomfortable. If he is deep chested, or stiff, it's a big ask.

He might find it uncomfortable. If he is deep chested, or stiff, it's a big ask.

Yes, Jasper is deep-chested and I tried and failed to teach him to roll over when he was a pup. It didn't help that having a long neck and snout meant that he could follow the treat a long way, and his body had no need to follow.

I have taught Jasper to settle down nicely on my bed rather than digging up all the covers, getting mud on them and occasionally tearing the sheets... when I'm in the room. He now waits till I'm out of the room before building his nest:mad:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back