The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Teenage issues...

Finsky

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our Eva has shown various teenage 'issues'/behaviour for some time now, and everything she has gone through is nothing that one would not expect to come across.
Refusing to do stuff she well know what to do..running away from us when putting harness is needed and yet she is still eager to get going..being bold with her behaviour but yet not bold enough to follow through, shying away at the last moment...jumping on us...being shy at times with other dogs/people...trying to boss us and Iida (and she lets her do it)..etc etc. Those hormonal changes and getting older seem to have effect to everything and anything.
Eva is much more complex and 'wilder' in general (so far) that I can remember Iida being this time last year...she seemed to sail through much more differently. But is it because Eva turned up as teeny pup just that time of Iida's age...did it change it all?
Anyhow...so we've had yet another development with Eva's behaviour..last few days she has started to 'leak'...doing wee trail behind her when she plays with Iida or is being petted/greeted and yet she doesn't appear to behave like scared/nervous dog...anything but! And she has started ask 'pick me up mum' .. she haven't been much of a cuddly, lap dog type with me at all.
I wonder....could it be....as she is going through her age related changes...and now that is almost 1, Iida has started treat her less like pup and she is finally being answered back when ever she is teasing/playing/trying to take over/boss us or Iida. ??
Our very laid back, 'Ms Cool' is starting not to let get away with younster's behaviour that much anymore..
Obviously we have been carrying on with our behaviour and instructions/teachings as normal but what goes on between those 2 is their dog business, I just keep eye on that everything is good natured and it doesn't get out of hand. And it has been just fine.
We've noticed just that little shift with Iida...she is not being walked over by Eva quite that much anymore and Eva is showing more submissive behaviour during their rough play too.
So I wonder, now that older one is finally showing who is the boss..has it kick started this weeing business...like a extra submissive behaviour that she is showing towards us too?
I'm sure it is just a phase she is going through and I'm not worried. All this growing up stuff is very interesting to follow through..particularly when each one of my dog has been so different and yet they gone through the same stages that every pup does.
Am I in right track with my thinking what is going on?
Any thoughts ...you wise ones?

Last edited:
I can't remember... what breed is she, and is she spayed?

I can't remember... what breed is she, and is she spayed?
Officially she is 'Lakeland x fox terrier' but really....a proper 'Heinz'. And no...she is not been done, she has only had her first season few months ago.
DSC_0266.JPG

Might be a UTI. Worth getting a test done.

Might be a UTI. Worth getting a test done.
Ah..indeed...good thinking batman! I was straight away thinking of more behavioural issue as she was bit slow to learn getting to be house tidy. When she was still little she was always in such a hurry and often would forget or got distracted what she went outside in first place for before racing to get back in for what ever game/toy did enter into her mind..:rolleyes: We have been doing so well and now this trickling business has happened few times over last couple of weeks. Coincidentally she has started to like to get into our local stream and paddle through it without worrying to get herself wet...not long ago it she would be making such a effort to get around puddles etc. But not anymore...it is case of straight in and more splashing the better! :D Could she get something from the water when getting herself wet down there?

Last edited:
Right...girl is booked in for Monday morning and I shall have to able to harvest a sample for it...oh that shall be fun..:rolleyes::D

Right...girl is booked in for Monday morning and I shall have to able to harvest a sample for it...oh that shall be fun..:rolleyes::D
A plant pot saucer or old baking tray might help.

A plant pot saucer or old baking tray might help.
I've got a proper plastic 'wee catcher' attachment for the job but it is the issue of trying to sneak behind them without been given a look over the shoulder and moving away..'keep away from my bottom!' It has to be quick move to get in when the flood starts. :D

My parents used a margarine tub on a long stick for our diabetic Yorkie who needed testing every day - it was easier to sneak it under her without her realising.

My parents used a margarine tub on a long stick for our diabetic Yorkie who needed testing every day - it was easier to sneak it under her without her realising.
LOL..yes, I've been there with similar contraptions but when I had one dog that was particularly tricky to deal with and we needed few regular samples...vet gave us couple of bottle 'mouth pieces' that were less obvious for the task. :D
It is similar to this blue one..
2020-06-19.png

Omelette pan. Nice long handle so you don't crowd the dog, nice shallow bowl for catching the necessary.

People do look at you a bit funny and generally don't come round for supper if it's omelette.

Omelette pan. Nice long handle so you don't crowd the dog, nice shallow bowl for catching the necessary.

People do look at you a bit funny and generally don't come round for supper if it's omelette.
:eek:....:D I've heard it all now :rolleyes: Oi....she is only a little one with little girly bits, I could not fit a margarine tub or omelette pan near her regions to catch a sample! :D

:D

Our birthday girl has now had her sample sorted and she has been to the vets. And as I'm glad to say her results came clear...no infection. And she was found in general to be in good shape/condition too.
That leaves really my original thought that it is do with her teenage 'stage'..they can one minute feel bit unsure of themselves and being bold and brave in next :rolleyes: AND of course she haven't had any accidents since I booked the vet's appointment....AND when I handed her over to the vet to be taken in for exam, she was walking like model dog..totally in her best behaviour :rolleyes: I bet she would let them to cut her nails too without any resistance...unlike with us..:rolleyes:

This might be a interest for some.... visit for our vet for general check up and testing a wee sample for infection cost us just under £50. It is more and less what I expected as well.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back