The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Teeth - cleaning of

RGC

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
At her last check up Mabel’s bill of health was with flying colours BUT I was advised to keep an eye on the development of plaque on her molars. We do have a toothbrush which fits onto a finger but is there a toothpaste that she could accept. Although suspicious of new experiences she’ll eat for England.
Many thanks in advance.

Many thanks for that, JudyN. Will give it a go. I’m assuming that Jasper had his own agenda with regard to what he found acceptable? Mabel’s probably of a similar mien. I do use petdrugsonline for Mabel’s Apoquel tablets but, for this one off tester, I’ll go via Amazon for speed and no delivery charge. Once again, thank you.

Oh yes, I wasn't going to go sticking my fingers in his mouth if he didn't approve:D Though I didn't bother doing it much - he was more interested in eating the toothpaste than letting me apply it to his teeth, and all those chicken carcasses meant he had a lovely set of gnashers anyway.

Reactions: RGC
I have one from Dorwest that has a very slightly gritty texture, and I think that added abrasiveness helps.

It may help to try a loose weave rag over your finger with the toothpaste on it rather than the finger brush. Some dogs find that a little easier.

Reactions: RGC
Thank you, JoanneF. All suggestions are really appreciated. Since this morning I've had a slight altercation with a ladder. It overbalanced when I was moving it against the wall - I was clearing the guttering. No broken bones, just some muscular discomfort. I picked my timing well with the current medical disputes. So have taken to rest on the bed with a bruised ego - however, there was support from my wife as opposed to "Look, Death Wish Boy, how many times have I.......?" There's humour in most things. Mabel won't leave my side.

Jimmy didn't really like having his teeth cleaned, and a dog toothbrush was a non-starter. After trying several things, we settled on Logic gel and a soft, white cleaning device you put over your finger to use as the toothbrush. It was like a sock that goes over your finger, had some silver stuff in it for anti-bacterial measures and a loop to put over another finger so it wouldn't come off in his mouth. Whilst far from perfect, this was as good as it got, and we could only brush the outer surfaces of his teeth. I would link to this thing, but Amazon won't open for me right now.

Thank you, arealhuman. I’ll try the logic gel with her. She’s no problem with my examining her mouth when she’s got something stuck ‘twixt gum and cheek so I’m sure she’ll let me. I won’t try the inner side of her molars - that’d be pushing it somewhat.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back