The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Teeth cleaning

Snoops27

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I want to keep my new puppy's teeth healthy and would like advice on how often they should be brushed. Also, are there different makes of both toothbrushes and toothpaste, if there are, what kind would you recommend? (don't pick puppy up until the 29th Dec).

I use an enzymatic toothpaste from Virbac. I use an ordinary soft toothbrush. I also feed raw chicken wings which are brilliant for being slightly abrasive for cleaning, and also having a sinew that does a sort of flossing effect. But I have just started using Dentisept. It leaves a protective coating that is supposed to be good. So far I like it better than Virbac.

Thanks Joanne; did you buy it from your vet or a pet shop?

I bought it online from Amazon but this Dentisept - Pet Drugs Online is a little cheaper. Chicken wings, raw, are cheap and excellent though. Don't be anxious about them (I was at first), they really are good.

And I should also have said that raw carrot, even frozen when teething, are good too.

Thanks again Joanne. Regarding the chicken wings. I was told many years ago that you should never give any dogs chicken bones as they are prone to splintering and when they break they are as sharp as needles and can do a lot of damage, especially to a young dog who's internal tissues are extremely soft and tender. Has the general thinking changed on that?

Yes. As long as they are raw. It's cooked bones that present a risk. There are many raw feeders including several members here; and bones make up around 20% of a balanced raw diet.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Joanne and btw, please don't think I was arguing with you. I was unaware of those facts and I'm grateful that you have put me straight.

Not at all, I didn't see it that way at all! I should also have said, if you plan to use toothpaste (never human by the way) start to get your puppy used to it by first gently rubbing his teeth and gums with your finger with some toothpaste on it before trying a brush.

Thank goodness for that; I don't want to make enemies on my first week as a member, lol. Great advice re use of finger, I will definitely do that. Thanks again.

If you have a very bitey puppy, you might want to hold off until he's developed a bit of bite inhibition. Apart from the fact that your fingers might end up looking like raw meat, it could confuse him if he's also meant to learn that they are not for chewing on!

Teaching him to accept having his teeth brushed will also need to be a gradual thing - there's a lot of videos online for how to do this. You might also need to try a few toothpastes before you find one he likes. My dog isn't at all fussy but spat the first few I tried out. He was happy with Logic Oral Gel though.

Thank goodness for that; I don't want to make enemies on my first week as a member, lol. Great advice re use of finger, I will definitely do that. Thanks again.
Don't fret, it takes a lot more than that to offend us!

If you have a very bitey puppy, you might want to hold off until he's developed a bit of bite inhibition. Apart from the fact that your fingers might end up looking like raw meat, it could confuse him if he's also meant to learn that they are not for chewing on!

Teaching him to accept having his teeth brushed will also need to be a gradual thing - there's a lot of videos online for how to do this. You might also need to try a few toothpastes before you find one he likes. My dog isn't at all fussy but spat the first few I tried out. He was happy with Logic Oral Gel though.
Moore great advice. Thanks Joanne. Less than a fortnight to go now. Countdown is at Milli minus 12.

Anything else, just ask. There are some people here with loads of experience who are happy to share advice. And my best advice right now is try to get some rest in the next 12 days because you will be exhausted with a new puppy! What is she btw?

Anything else, just ask. There are some people here with loads of experience who are happy to share advice. And my best advice right now is try to get some rest in the next 12 days because you will be exhausted with a new puppy! What is she btw?
Dad is a Shih Tzu and mum is a Lhasa Apso. They are owned by two sisters, who live close to one another and this is the first time they have tried to breed from their dogs. Milli was born on Nov 3rd.

I bought it online from Amazon but this Dentisept - Pet Drugs Online is a little cheaper. Chicken wings, raw, are cheap and excellent though. Don't be anxious about them (I was at first), they really are good.
Hi @JoanneF - I use a dog toothpaste and brush, but struggle to get anything but the exterior faces of my dog's teeth clean. Dentisept seems to use an applicator - how do you find it? Any concerns about the ingredients, and how often do you use it? I have considered going back to a water-based additive for teeth cleaning or using a gel that's smeared on (can't remember the name right now).

I didn't use the applicator, I just used the toothbrush as that's what Timber is used to. I used a pea sized amount. It's different in consistency to the Virbac, it's sort of sticky and has a vanilla smell. I used it every couple of nights to start but now we are down to twice a week, really I just used it more often to start to make sure I got a good coating. I wasn't concerned about the ingredients as it's made for dogs but should I be? Do you know anything about them?

I wasn't concerned about the ingredients as it's made for dogs but should I be? Do you know anything about them?
I don't know anything about them, sorry - so many of these things have various compounds in them, I don't know whether they're good, bad or indifferent. Thanks for the reply, too ;).

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back