The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Testicles

shamrock lady

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, my 6month old pup has one fully formed testicle in his sack. The other is under the skin but not yet dropped.

will his other ball drop in time

Possibly, but I wouldn't worry about it at 6 months of age, although you may be able to help the hidden testicle to drop by gently massaging it in the right direction :thumbsup:

If you are planning to have him castrated then it involves slightly longer under anaesthetic as an incision has to be made to remove the undescended testicle, but I would recommend that he isn't castrated until he is around 18 months old in order to let him develop properly whilst in full possession of his hormones!

Were you planning on showing him?

Possibly, but I wouldn't worry about it at 6 months of age, although you may be able to help the hidden testicle to drop by gently massaging it in the right direction :thumbsup:
If you are planning to have him castrated then it involves slightly longer under anaesthetic as an incision has to be made to remove the undescended testicle, but I would recommend that he isn't castrated until he is around 18 months old in order to let him develop properly whilst in full possession of his hormones!

Were you planning on showing him?
hi i have been massaging it but it seems to fade away, then re appears. I intend racing him. His breeding is race and not the show type.

Hi, my 6month old pup has one fully formed testicle in his sack. The other is under the skin but not yet dropped.will his other ball drop in time
One of my boys had that. We were going to have him neutered anyway and the vet suggested this was best in this case especially if it isn't going to "drop"

Sometimes a testicle will decide to appear on the outside but in my experience this is quite rare.

As your lad's testicle is obvious then it will be a very easy operation to have that removed, but it is advisable to have that done when he is older to prevent any problems arising in later life.

Best not to use him for breeding tho', if it doesn't drop, because it's an inherited trait and he could pass it on to his offspring :(

Hi his litter mates are fully in place. I think the line has this problem. His dad is wrch terraquinn, but in his line are dogs i know to only have one.

I would not hesitate to have him castrated in the future if it dont drop.

That is sad. My dog Pye had a testicle that didn't come down until he was nearly 6 months old. The litter he came from had four none entire dogs. My dog has sired a tiller with four entire dog puppies!

Personally I would wait and see. Please don't get him castrated until he is at least two years old or you will end up with a perpetual puppy. :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is sad. My dog Pye had a testicle that didn't come down until he was nearly 6 months old. The litter he came from had four none entire dogs. My dog has sired a tiller with four entire dog puppies!
Personally I would wait and see. Please don't get him castrated until he is at least two years old or you will end up with a perpetual puppy. :cheers:
I will wait and see. His other one is really visable under the skin. Poor little man. Other than that he is healthy.

I will wait and see. His other one is really visable under the skin. Poor little man. Other than that he is healthy.

Hi his litter mates are fully in place. I think the line has this problem. His dad is wrch terraquinn, but in his line are dogs i know to only have one.I would not hesitate to have him castrated in the future if it dont drop.
You're right that Terraquin has prodroced cryptorchids, but if you can see his testicle in the groin, I'd have a go at "chasing" it down. Very soon the bit it needs to pass to go into the scrotal sac will close up. If you put a finger behind it and push it down towards the scrotum, you might just be able to sqeeze it through. I feel lots of men will be squirming at this point! Its worth a go now rather than an op later. Also in a racing dog it can be painful when it runs if the testicle is in the groin.

I would try as other have suggested to try and massage his testical down into the scrotum.

With our male although another breed both his testicals were down and in place at six months, although I do know of other males who's testicals were not fully descended until they were close to 12 months

So it could be worth waiting for a little longer to see if this descends in time and massaging it down could also help

Hi his litter mates are fully in place. I think the line has this problem. His dad is wrch terraquinn, but in his line are dogs i know to only have one.I would not hesitate to have him castrated in the future if it dont drop.
You're right that Terraquin has prodroced cryptorchids, but if you can see his testicle in the groin, I'd have a go at "chasing" it down. Very soon the bit it needs to pass to go into the scrotal sac will close up. If you put a finger behind it and push it down towards the scrotum, you might just be able to sqeeze it through. I feel lots of men will be squirming at this point! Its worth a go now rather than an op later. Also in a racing dog it can be painful when it runs if the testicle is in the groin.
hi thanks for all replies. my remark ref terraquin was not put in an inflamatory way whatsoever. i was only looking for sound advise from experienced whippet racing people. maybe i am being a bit pranoid. i shell endevour to massage his bollock as you have advised.

Hi his litter mates are fully in place. I think the line has this problem. His dad is wrch terraquinn, but in his line are dogs i know to only have one..
You're right that Terraquin has prodroced cryptorchids,
For your information WCRCh VC Terraquinn (please note correct spelling) has produced 1 pup out of 37 that is not entire and I own that dog.

He has not produced multiple puppies that are not entire as this post is intimating.

Something that people have neglected to mention is the gene could be carried by the bitch and not the sire.

But hey ho I’ve been attacked on this site and now attention is being turned to my dog…..why am I not surprised.

I wasn't aware he had produced 37 dogs - that's way more than I even thought! How many with bitches as well?

Toddy had an undecended testicle. My vet examined him to try and find it. His examination was pretty robust and uncomfortable for Toddy but the testicle was located very high up inside. About 10 days later, the testicle dropped down into the sac by itself. Perhaps your vet may have more sucess at manuiplating the testicle in such a way as to encourage it to move down.

Hi,Again thankyou one and all for all the constructive advise about my boys testicle. Please can certain people,

(you know who you are) refrain from using this post as a sounding board against G. Comber and his dog.

That was not my original intention as i have the utmost respect for gary and what he has done for the sport.

Due to my apparent inexperience in this field, i feel that i have dropped a "Bollock" in opening the thread for

such a debate. My apolagies to you gary and Quinn.

Regards William

I think garry knows how I feel about his boy quinn

I used quinn on my bitch ellie to prove him for garry

From this mating we had 5 beautiful pups one of which was a dog which had 2 descended testicles at 8 weeks and they stayed down till he was later castrated due to the owners choice not health problems.

I have since brought in a pup which is my ellies and quinns grandson who has 2 testicles at 8 weeks and now has a large pair of plums at 9 months!

So clearly no problems with quinn producing dogs with un descended testis.

I find it very funny that as soon as an issue shows up with lines certain breeding the stud dog is always blamed for the faults rather people taking a look at their own lines the age old saying not in my lines is used!

Perhaps people need to take a look at their bitches as both bitches and dogs can produce faults equally , but like I say sadly its always the stud that's blamed!

I regret never using quinn a second time as I was so impressed with his progeny and he still shows though in his grandson and granddaughter

Sadie Thomas

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

My untimely request for advise seemed to go down a different route. I should have mentioned

my boys mom, but i could not remember her name. When i dropped the name quinn into the post,

i was doing so with a sense of pride knowing that i have a "QUINN PUPPY". I dont know enough

about lines etc so i just mentioned what somone said to me in the past about dogs with one BOLLOCK.

Excuss the french. If i have upset anybody then again i am sorry. My boy will prob have the biggest

PLUMS out of all of them now. Anways........Happy racing.

William and ed the ball

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back