The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Best Place To Buy A Puppy?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I know not everyone will agree, but I don't think that puppies and very young children are always a good combination. Puppies have sharp little teeth and claws and tend to get very excited around children playing.

My neighbour with a toddler and a four year old has just bought the most adorable springer pup, but all I seem to hear in the garden now is the children screaming because the puppy has nipped or scratched or chewed a favourite toy :(

I've always had older, calmer rescue dogs with my children. Molly, my greyhound, came to me as a four year old when my children were 2 and 5 (that was 10 years ago now), and was always so gentle with them they totally adored her - and still do for that matter. :wub:

Obviously if you would consider a rescue dog you need to go to a rescue that assesses their dogs carefully, but quite a few use family foster homes so will have dogs who are already living with children. Again, this is a personal thing, but I'd look for a dog with the right temperament rather than having any particular breed in mind. :thumbsup:

Good luck, anyway, with whatever you decide :luck:

What about a retired Greyhound ? they may be larger , but believe it or not they do take up very little room and sleep most of the day . if you do thnk about having one the Retired Greyhound Trust are the people to get in touch with .

There are always plenty needing homes :( they are usually great with children and short coated too , apart from whippets they are the only other breed I would ever consider :cheers:

Good luck what ever you decide :cheers:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back