The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

THE BEST WEIGHT

sherry

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
;) THIS SHOULD GET U ALL THINKING? WHAT IS YOUR IDEAL SIZE WHIPPET? WOULD IT BE A LIGHT, MIDDLE OR HEAVYWEIGHT? OR WHAT ABOUT A SCRATCH? AS I THINK U WILL ALL KNOW BY NOW I LIKE THE SCRATCH DOGS BUT THIS ISNT JUST BECOZ I HAVE TWO. I HAVE ALWAYS LIKE THE SCRATCH RACING AS I THINK DOGS RUNNING OFF LEVELS IS MORE EXCITING THAN DOGS GETTING YARDS START. JUST MY OPINION. THE PERFECT SIZE WHIPPET FOR ME WOULD BE A MIDDLEWEIGHT OF ABOUT 23 TO 27LB SIMPLY BECAUSE IF THEY ARE NOT FAST ENOUGH FOR OPENS THEY ARE THE IDEAL SIZE FOR HANDICAP RACING. WHERE AS THE LIGHTWEIGHTS OF 16 TO 20LB MAYBE A WEE BIT SMALL FOR HANDICAPS AND THE SCRATCH DOGS A WEE BIT TOO BIG. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE IDEAL SIZE WHIPPET AND WHY? SHOULD MAKE AN INTERSESTING TOPIC. :* I KNOW DOGS OF ALL SIZES COMPETE AT HANDICAPS BUT I HOPE U GET MY POINT. A 16LB ER THAT DONT GO TO THE RAG WILL BE OK ETC . :oops:

I like the 26lb 's the best as they can take on the little one's and can stay in front of the big one's. Another George's Choice I would love :D

If i had any sence i'd get a 21lber instead of keep running solos :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Any size would be ideal so long as I could be safe in the knowledge that my dog is trying it's hardest and that I am getting the best out of my dog by way of training.

if you want to win opens and supreemes you must be between 18-22 lbs there is the odd dog or bith that crops up now and then but they are realy special and in my view should be in the hall of fame.

last five or six years supreme winners at the champs

Bitches Dogs

swift holly 18 Kiss& Tell 18

dancing wind 19 Kirby 20

Cloe 19-20 Hillside Lad 22

Biddy 18 Razzamataz 20

dramma queen 18 Shooting star 23

home alone 23 Sreisland 21

Jackarella 19

Bends

Dramma Queen 18, Mystical dancer, 21, little Madame, 21, Ones a Mystery 21,

Bossy Boots 22, This highlights the verey small weight group of 18-24 max if you want a supreeme winner.

SUPREME RACING CHAMP PATHFINDER (twice)FLUKE the bitches. definately blue supreme . fly free all SUPREMES and HEAVYWIEGHTS OVER 26lb

just a few DEBBIE

I like them about 20lb give or take a couple of lb as you get a good chance of a race at opens and not solos.

SUPREME RACING CHAMP PATHFINDER (twice)FLUKE the bitches. definately blue supreme . fly free all SUPREMES and HEAVYWIEGHTS OVER 26lb
Scotty is stating straight champ supremes.

if i'm right the last heavyweight supreme on straights was snow fox.

I dont think the size of a whippet really matters :oops: so long as you enjoy racing your whippet and it comes off injury free, the idea of whippet racing is surely a hobby formost...........and how many dogs of 18lb do you know that has won a bend open......one i believe :b

;) yes pat but how many bend opens are on in the year compared to the straights? :p

The question is WHAT SIZE IS YOUR IDEAL WHIPPET???

some people are ging on about weight, what does it matter what weight/size the whippet is so long as there are races for it to race in??

i dont race the bends ??so what has how many races on the bends is there compared to the straights got to do with this question???? (w00t)

I also like small whippets cos i have them all in the house and there aint enough room now on the settee for us all??? :p

:wacko: eh im totaly lost now? lol :lol: The reason i said that about the bends was someone said how many lightweights win the bends. Well u c there are a lot more straghtraces than bends so a lot more for lightweights to win. I know what I mean lol hope the rest of u do too. :lol: Yes I like whippets of all sizes too. Pat u would be amazed at how small mickey whizz can curlhimself up into lol. The question should perhaps maybe have beenwhatis your ideal size whippet for races????????? Well at least its got everyone thinking. :D :D :D

Pat, I agree with you to a point, Jade and I travel more than any one in the country with our dog Southern scott, why because we love the friedship, seeing any weight dog run, but it still seems very unfare that just because a dog weighs more than 22lbs before We start of we know we do not have a chance to win overall, now that is not fair and it is the reason why my perfect weight as between 18-22 lbs, that does not mean its my favorite size of dog, just a weight that means if the dog can win its weight class it has a chance in the run offs. Winning is not every thing, but lets have a level playing field, and yes I was talking about straights when I stated the last five years supreeme winners, Debbie if you also look at the conditions of the track when Pathfinder, and hellbound won it was very wet and heavy going, which gave the bigger dogs a great chance which they took, Im not saying they would not have won without a wet track but it did help, you only have to look at the last few years with dry tracks the bend winners go down in weight. This year 18 and 24 lb.

Big dogs are o/k but wheres it going to end, theve just got bigger over the years.

theres got to be a limit.

I agree with you 100% john, but as we stand now over 25% of dogs running at opens can be scratch racers, we need them to keep our sport alive. All im saying is at 29-30 lb my dog is not that big, however along with all other HW dogs has virtually no chance of winning main final run off's, as yd ld is biased towards lightweights.

Half yard would be just as wrong, as would favour the mid to heavy weights, and what chance would a 16ld stand against Biddy, short spot etc, None. I have said this before it would need at least two handicap allowances running at the same time depending on weight to make it fare to all and as usuall it would need a bit of work to get it right.

And at the end of the day the best will still end up winning, not the average as is happening at some opens nowdays.

15-17 lb yd lb

up to 17ld 2ft a lb of all dogs over 26lb

up to 17 lb 1/1/4 yds of all dogs up to 25lb

18-24 yd lb

18 24 get 21inches per lb of dogs 25 to 32 lb

this would be over 150 yd im not saying it would work straight away but it would be

an improvement to yd lb as it stands. Im sure at this handicap all weight group winners would run of, and thats all i have been asking for, a level chance for all weights.

Nice to see you back on line John.

:p

hi scotty,

i bet i travel more miles than you and jade.

this year i have been counting the miles to see what

milage i actually do in one years racing.

debbie :)

I thought this topic was about what we feel is the ideal weight, not what weight win's. Like Ive said 26lbs as George's Choice could and did beet 16lb dog's and bitches i think it was over 160yds in Devon. He won a classic in 1996 and the con's final in 1995. He also won sup at many opens beeting very good dog's and bitche's. He never won a title but it dont make him a bad dog.

:blink: just wondering john noble what would u put the weight limit at? A scratch dog will NEVER race against yours so what is the problem? Would u say put the limit at 50lb? If so then what would the people with dogs of say 51lb to say 55lb run in? like I say Im just wondering??? :unsure:

PERSONALLY I DONT MIND WHAT WEIGHT I END UP WITH, I HAVE DOGS OUT OFF WHIPPET X GHD i.e. SAMSARA & PALOMA BOTH HEAVYS 31LB.ONE THING THAT DOES CONCERN ME IS THE SIZE OF SOME OF THE NO LIMITS :oops: THEY NEVER USED TO BE THAT BIG, THEY USED TO PUT A SMALL WHIPPET DOG TO A SMALL SPRINT GHD NOW ITS GREYHOUND STUD DOG TO NO LIMIT RACERS (THEY ARE NOT WHIPPETS IMO)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back