The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Canine Club, Lingfield

Rayne

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

I'm interested in getting a Cavapoo but haven't purchased a dog before so slightly hesitant as to how to go about it. I've come across The Canine Club near Lingfield and was wondering if anyone could recommend them or knew anything more about the breeder?
Or if any other breeders could be recommended?

Thanks

Finding a good cavapoo breeder could be quite difficult. Cavaliers in particular can suffer from some really nasty congenital conditions (heart problems, syringomyelia) that good breeders try to eliminate through responsible breeding like carrying out health tests and careful selection of parents. Good breeders do tests on their breeding dogs (proper tests, not just checks to say the dog is capable of siring/carrying a litter) to breed out these conditions. Unfortunately with the popularity of these crosses there are many puppy farmers who are more interested in exploiting buyers than the long term health of the puppies they are selling; and pet owners who think it would be lovely to have mini versions of their own pets but lack the understanding of responsible breeding.

It used to be believed that crossbreeds had the best of both breeds and health problems were 'bred out' but in fact you could well get a puppy who has inherited health defects from both parents. So crossing, for example, a cavalier with a poodle, you could get a puppy who has heart problems from the cavalier side and hip dysplasia from the poodle side. Both sides could have eye problems and these could cause long term pain and distress to the dog and the owner to incur on going expensive vet bills. Marilyn Munro allegedly once suggested to Albert Einstein that if they had babies they would be amazing with her beauty and his brains. Einstein allegedly replied how awful it would be if it were the other way round. You get the picture!

There are some responsible breeders of crossbreeds and that is a good thing. But they are very few and you may have to search extensively to find one.

Have you considered a poodle? They can be sourced with far less risk. If it is the look of the traditional poodle that puts you off, they can be left in a shaggy clip that has the look of the popular crossbreeds.

You might find these articles helpful too.

Animal Welfare Site

What Does a Puppy Farm REALLY Look Like? Could YOU tell?

And £3500 for a mongrel is daylight robbery.

I used this breeder to get my cockalier.
Can't fault them really, the pups and parents are well looked after from what I could tell.
Communication was a little hardwork.
It took me many attempts to get a response from any platform.

I paid a high price for my pup but the situation right now, is supply and demand. The prices of dogs have gone up astronomically because of lockdown. That said, I was happy to pay for mine as some unlicensed and unskilled people were selling off dogs for about the same price and these were not health checked parents.

I would recommend but be prepared for a slightly unorganised communication....

Health tested means DNA tested, BVA eye tests, and hip xrays and some breeds elbows and many more, depending on which two breeds are used to create the final puppy. Official certificates should be available to see.
As mentioned a general vets health check is of no long term use at all, these are only clinical checks as seen on the day.
It may be advisable to research the individual parents and proof of certificates.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back