The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

the dangers of "selfies" - Ya gotta use common sense, & PAY ATTN, too...

leashedForLife

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register

OK - on 1st reading, this sounds like a horrible joke. A man was killed by a bear, after he tried to take a selfie with the animal. // There's more to the story, & to the hazards of selfies, too.

The victim was driving himself & other guests home from a mutual friend's wedding, & stops on the road to pee; returning to his car, he sees... a bear, seemingly dead, hit by a previous car, lying on the roadside.
His friends, waiting at the car, shout "No!...", as he turns toward the apparently-dead animal, then stands near it for a selfie - & as he clicks, the bear comes to, chases, & then mauls him, while his friends video-record the attack - none try to come to his aid. A stray dog actually tries to fight off the bear, but fails. // He dies at the scene.
The bear was tranquilized by authorities, & his injuries were treated; no word if he survived; the man's body was recovered.

LINK:
Bear mauls to death man who tried to take a selfie with the injured animal

He's only one of many people to die, while taking selfies.
- A man fell down a flight of steps at the Taj Mahal.
- Someone drowned while taking a selfie; the boat they posed in, flipped over.
- Another person posed on a cliff - which gave way, underfoot.

In 2015, more ppl died "selfie deaths" than were killed worldwide by sharks.
Russia, not exactly known for consumer safety, launched a "selfie awareness" campaign.
Mumbai, India, now has 16 officially "no selfie!" zones across the city, after multiple deaths & injuries.
Falling, drowning, electrocution, vehicles & trains, weapons, & animal attacks have all caused selfie-deaths.

A study on selfie-risks & deaths / injuries -
Me, Myself and My Killfie: Characterizing and Preventing Selfie Deaths – Precog's Blog

What leaps out to me among all these needless deaths, is that some persons deliberately push the limits in high-risk photos for momentary "celebrity", while others are so caught up in "taking the picture" that they forget their surroundings, or lose their balance.
Getting a photo is not worth injury, let alone death - & posing in front of an oncoming train is simply suicidal. :(

Social media is a massive magnet for human attention - but when U are taking a selfie, please take care to be safe. U don't want short-lived notoriety via "how U died".

very sad, so many young lives lost.
- terry

I've got to be honest, I've never seen the appeal of selfies. A friend of mine is forever taking them when out and about, but to me it's just a real PITA. I've only ever taken one I think - on holiday with the dog when he jumped up next to me on the bed whilst I was on my phone. The only danger their is Mrs. ARH telling me to get off my phone! :D

This was my attempt :D:D
42ABF292-1C21-47BC-983C-2F17EB0E105B.jpeg

My brother takes the most awful selfies ..They are always featuring a duck lip pout (not a good look on a 52 yr old man) and are almost always in tiled rooms (bathrooms toilets etc) This leads to huge amounts of teasing and jibes about him being a George Micheal wannabe with people asking he he wants to go 'Outside' . My mum wont have him as a FB friend because she says he shows her up with his self indulgant selfies.

My brother takes the most awful selfies ..They are always featuring a duck lip pout (not a good look on a 52 yr old man) and are almost always in tiled rooms (bathrooms toilets etc) This leads to huge amounts of teasing and jibes about him being a George Micheal wannabe with people asking he he wants to go 'Outside' . My mum wont have him as a FB friend because she says he shows her up with his self indulgant selfies.

That made me laugh that your own mum won’t be fb friends with him! Oh the shame!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back