The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The scallywags page

Paul osman

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Owner of two mischievous dogs brother and sister who's getting on a bit.

Hi all our dog Zara had just been diagnosed with breast cancer and we wanting to make the right decisions for her. She is nearly 14 and speaking to the vets he said we would have to think about whether to have several operations or see how she goes because of her age. I am thinking although we need to find several thousand pounds to have the surgery as I am worried it could get worse and she could suffer. But due to her age and recently have a historecomy, Looking for advice please from people have have had a similar experience.

Welcome to the forum, but I'm sorry to hear about Zara. This isn't a situation I've been in, so all I can say is that I would put quality of life over quantity. I'm sure others will be able to share their experiences, and hopefully help.

Your decision entirely, but as you ask - I would spare her the surgery and let her enjoy whatever time she has left with you. That's what I do with mine. My vet does not like to interfere with growths on old dogs - he says it often starts something off which would otherwise have lain dormant for longer. I have an old dog now and we are going through this under his supervision. It has been a year since diagnosis.

This is what my old girl as got,she was 15 years old when I found the first lump. I took the decision not to operate on her due to her age. My vet was perfectly happy with my decision to let nature run it's course. Three and a half years later she's still here and kicking. In my circle of friends she's known as The Never Ending Story (if only).
When chatting with my vet he did say it's a lottery, you just never know how long they will go on for. He said it could be three months or two years we just never know.
I wish you luck with your decision

I agree with the others, I would add that in older dogs (and people) cancers grow more slowly than in younger dogs (and people).

Quality of life has always been our priority. All of our domestic animals, cats and whippets, were rescued. They contributed one helluva lot to our lives, more so than we could contribute to theirs, and the least we could do was to let them go painlessly when their quality of life was affected. It’s never an easy call - tears, heartache. I’d leave things alone if she’s not suffering or in pain.

Yes I have to agree with all of the above, wishing you all well and welcome to the forum

My brindle was 14 and the tumour grew quick so 5 weeks after vet said what it was with x rays and stuff I let him go, only thing was to take the leg off but believe me he had a full life so I ended it for him with less pain, I think we have to make this call for the dog not us.

Hi all thanks for the advice, we are keeping an eye on her, still not sure what to do yet. Don't want to put her through another operation so quickly. She has one lump which is golf ball size on one side and two small ones on the other side. It's looks horrible but at the moment she is healthy,just hoping they don't grow any more. It's hard.

Owner of two mischievous dogs brother and sister who's getting on a bit.

Hi all our dog Zara had just been diagnosed with breast cancer and we wanting to make the right decisions for her. She is nearly 14 and speaking to the vets he said we would have to think about whether to have several operations or
see how she goes because of her age. I am thinking although we need to find several thousand pounds to have the surgery as I am worried it could get worse and she could suffer. But due to her age and recently have a historecomy, Looking for advice please from people have have had a similar experience.

Oh gosh! Poor you !!! my heart goes out to you and have leaked tears too :( Only you can make that dreadful decision, because whatever you do you will be torn! I agree that quality of life has to overcome all! I am a nurse and have, on many occasions wished we could make the decision for humans because some situations are not good ones to be in! :( You WILL know when it is time, your dog will tell you, but to make the choices over surgery or not - well that has to be the hardest park I think. Some things to consider - distress and ongoing discomfort after surgery. Have the vets removed ALL the offending area? Have they inadvertantly spread the cancer? Is there another choice? If you think what is cancer? It is a cell that has reproduced with a fault. This causes other cells to mass produce with the same fault. How can that be reverted? can it be? MIGHT it be?...........I wish you all the very best which ever choice you make, I am sure it will be the best one for you and your dog, with the situation you are in. ..................

Reactions: RGC
Hi thank you for all your kind words. It's a very difficult decision we are still thinking about. The lump is quite large but does not seem to be growing. She seems as healthy as always. It's a difficult one she will be 14 soon. Reading up about cancer in dogs, surgery might delay the the cancer but she would have to have two big operations which we would have to find the money for and she might not survive. It's hard to know what's the best thing to do. Cancer seem so common in dogs. Hopefully she will keep going and die of old age. Dogs seem to get so many health problems when they get older, it's horrible.

My most heartfelt sympathy. Everything gets health problems as they age. I have a dog with cancer also. Vet agrees palliative care only. She has very good quality of life at the moment. I've been through this so many times, and it never gets easier. You must make your own decisions, but this is to tell you that you are not alone and come here any time you want to talk amongst empathetic people.

I'm so sorry. If she were mine, I would elect palliative care too. An operation at her age is a risk in itself, and might buy you a little more time but not very much.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back