The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Sporting Whippet Club Of Ni Last Sunday 16Th September At Dunsilly

Margaret Mc Stay

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Ideally situated in the shadows of the famous green Glens of Antrim, and deep in the heart of the Irish Countryside, lies the townland of Dunsilly, Co Antrim. This was the perfect setting for the last “ Sporting Whippet Club NI “ show of the year Sunday past 16th September. The venue for the show as usual, was at Dunsilly Kennels and what a day that was. As Dunsilly kennels is situated of the M2/M22 at junction 1, this is a superb venue and easily accessible to the motorway. There was a reasonably big crowd there, and with the exception of a few showers, the weather was on our side for a change.

Graham and Lynn Meek was there bright and earley, and had the Barbeque set and lit up, and busy cooking the burgers, as was Paul Reynolds preparing the game and Vennison stew on the gas fire. The group of musicans arrived with their gear, and within a half an hour of arrival , had all our hands waving and feet tapping to their lovely music. They played something to suit everybody and such a talented group. One avid show goer Phillipa Robinson took the fiddle into her hand and played along with the group. Brilliant Phillipa, you have a hidden talent for music, and we enjoyed listening to you and the group. The show commenced at approximately 12.30 with the grading first.

After the grading, the Barbeque got into swing, and what a spread was laid on. All types of salads, burgers, 2 different types of stews, breads, and all washed down with white or red wine. Goody bags were given to every child in the field. Heather Reynolds, Paul Reynolds wife made a beautiful, very large cake for the occasion, and everybody was offered a slice accordingly. I must say it was so tasty, I had 2 slices. After the Barbeque, the showing began and was then followed by the racing.

Show Results

Best in Show went to :

Paul Reynolds with Chieftain. Paul, Chieftain owes you nothing, and has done you proud on many occassions. A top Whippet. A big congratulations and well done.

Reserve best in Show went to :

Tracy Gill with Ash.

Well what can I say about the lovely Ash, that I have not said before. Ash is a beautiful Whippet , and has a great winning future ahead of him. A big congratulations and well done.

Members Class went to :

Allanah Harpur with Misty.

Allanah, you are a real rising star, and a force to be reckoned with at the shows in years to come, with your winning Whippet Misty. A big well done Allanah,and I am sure dad Billy and sister Kirsty were real proud of you as we all are.

A Big congratulations to all winners above and well done

Overall Show Champion of Champions went to :

Davy Best with Penny

A well deserved winner and a real gentleman. Well done Davy and Penny, and a big congratulations. We are all so proud of you including your wife Valerie. We all know how much you love Penny, she is such a lovely Whippet.

Racing Results

Overall Adult Racing Champion of Champions 2012 went to a real star and a wonderful person:

Michael Quinn with Blue.

Michael, you are a real Champion and a very worthy winner. A big congratulations and well done. This was the cup donated by the Mc Kinistry family in memory of the late Eddie Mc Kinistry, a founder member of the " Sporting Whippet Club " Michael, Eddie would be very proud of you today, keeping his memory afloat by winning this beautiful cup. Dad Mickey is away home to give it pride of place on the sitting room mantelpiece.

Overall Puppy Racing Champion of Champions went to :

Tracy Gill with Ash.

This brilliant puppy has won many trophys both in racing and showing in his young life. A real winner there Tracy,and may you and Ash go on to win many more. A big Congratulations to you both.

A full list of showing and racing results are on Hunting Life and Face book.

And Finally, may I take this opportunity to thank our Chairman, Janet Duke and her hard working committe for the great day of Showing, Racing and Barbeque provided on Sunday and all the work they carried out also, at all the other show days during the year. We had a great committe this year, and all carried out their duties with respect and precision. A special thank you to the show judge of the day Patsy Mc Coy, and Overall Champion of Champions 2012 Judge, Stephen Mc Gonigle. We all know judging is not an easy job, but you both carried out your duties with due courtesy and professionalism. For that we thank you. At this point we cannot forget the man who makes all our show days possible, Victor Mc Donald the owner of Dunsilly. A heartfelt thanks Victor for all your help and we hope to see you again in the new year. Our resident photographer Deidre Mc Coy was on hand to capture our moment of glory. We do appreciate your photographs Deidre and they give us such joy when we see our photograph up on Facebook or Hunting Life.

Truly from the bottom of our hearts, thanks to everybody who donated gifts for the the Charity Raffle , which was a roaring success. The final figure from the Charity Raffle was £250, which is going to Macmillan Cancer Support . I can say without fear of contradiction, this is a charity very close to every persons heart. Thank you all for your generosity.

Another donation of £200 was made on the day by the "Sporting Whippet Club NI" to the " Heart, Stroke and Chest Support " a Charity chosen by the owner of Dunsilly Kennels Mr Victor Mc Donald. These people save so many lives, and another very worthy Charity.

As the showing and racing year comes to an end, and the hunting season begins , I will look back on 2012 with the fondest of memories and a tear in my eye. I made many new friends in the Canine world, I am cancer free now for 20yrs, and the happiest memory of all on the 9th of June, our first beautiful grandchild came into the world, Maddie Marie Mc Stay, a beautiful little girl, a gift from God.

As I conclude now, I look forward to meeting up with you all again for the banter and chat in 2013 God willing. Keep safe to then and God Bless.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back