The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Stabij or Stabyhound

Mad Murphy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
DSCN1481 - kopie.JPG
m74.jpg
DSCN2927.JPG
I'm not an expert but as the owner of one of these fantastic dogs I thought Id add a word.

People say the name comes from the words stand by me and its true these dogs are loyal.
If anyone is thinking of getting one these are some things to consider. Although the first words on the breed website read *The Stabyhoun is a loving, loyal and active family dog.* (Which is true by the way.) They are also very active high prey drive dogs built to hunt vermin, they love water and they love digging which means you will end up with a wet muddy dogs any time they get the chance.

In general they very healthy with a life span of between 12 and 14 yrs but they can suffer from general anxiety, HD , ED and epilepsy (all fairly rare) which is why its so important to only to buy a pup from a breeder with dogs who have been tested.

Harsh training will cause a Stabij to shut down many people say they are stubborn but often its because the training used is too harsh and they simply wont respond.
Stabijs are not snappy or aggressive but they do make very good guard dogs and will give loud warnings about any trespassers on their property. Not really the sort of dog for a flat or crowded town lifestyle.. They love to run, to dig, to swim not a suitable dog if youre a bit of a couch potato..
Size; Males are around 53 cm and bitches 49 cm , at the shoulder. The Stabyhoun usually weighs between 18-25 kg.
They have a coat that is almost self cleaning and they dont smell.

You missed out 'They're flippin' beautiful' :) How many hours a day walking does yours get? Does he also need 'entertaining' in between walks?

Hi... Murphy is 20 months now we generally do a one hour walk in the morning when he is off lead, then at least two more half hour walks on lead during the day. But we aim to take him out further afield at least twice a week where we go for at least 2 hours and then the on lead walks during the day. Oh and in summer he has his own swimming pool just for that nice cool exersize..

In the house he is fairly calm and isn't too demanding. He has toys and games to keep him busy.. I think thats where the description of a loyal family dog comes from , people only seeing them in the home environment!

DSCI0381.JPG

Hi... Murphy is 20 months now we generally do a one hour walk in the morning when he is off lead, then at least two more half hour walks on lead during the day. But we aim to take him out further afield at least twice a week where we go for at least 2 hours and then the on lead walks during the day. Oh and in summer he has his own swimming pool just for that nice cool exersize..

In the house he is fairly calm and isn't too demanding. He has toys and games to keep him busy.. I think thats where the description of a loyal family dog comes from , people only seeing them in the home environment!

View attachment 111974953
He's amazing! :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back