The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

They Were Going To Shoot Them

jools

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have been a bit tied up this week trying to help prevent an owner shooting 7 lurchers. They belonged to his wife who used to show them, the marriage broke down and she left, but didn't take the dogs! I don't know how long this went on for, but eventually I heard about things and with a great deal of help from a local kennel and Burnley Dog Rescue, they are now safe.

5 of the dogs are skeletal, the only 2 looking half decent are the two whippet crosses, one of which has already been homed. Poor Jess and her son Rags are in the worst condition both having mange. They were all worm and flea ridden, but have been seen by a vet, who on hearing about them went to the kennels in his lunch break with the weighing scales, mange treatment, wormers, flea treatment etc etc. What a lovely man he is. They will all be fine in time, but little Rags who we were told is 1 year old (very doubtful if he is that old) is petrified of everyone and everything. (Mum Jess is 9 years old - poor soul whelping a that age and in that condition.) He is going to stay with one of the Burnley Dog Rescue helpers, she is absolutely wonderful in cases like this. He will be homed when he is ready, however long that will take.

The owner said he had tried every rescue going!! He certainly hadn't tried very hard.

The pictures of these dogs can be seen at [SIZE=14pt]www.burnleydogrescue.org.uk[/SIZE]

There are a couple of other dogs which are at the same kennels looking for a home. I must sound awful, but Diddles must be one of the ugliest dogs in the world!!!! His photo just doesn't tell the truth!!!

Bless you o:)

:luck: to all of them :luck:

Come across this type of relationship break up thing a lot now...just dont understand, I'd give up the house/car/material goods...but NEVER my hounds :huggles:

bappit said:
Bless you o:)
:luck: to all of them :luck:

Come across this type of relationship break up thing a lot now...just dont understand, I'd give up the house/car/material goods...but NEVER my hounds :huggles:

ditto :(

[SIZE=14pt]Well done you, Jools [/SIZE] :thumbsup: Reminds me of a chap I know who was devoted to his goat Sonny and sadly there came a time when his marriage hit the rocks and his wife threatened him with, 'either the goat goes or I do'. Oh, how awful I said, what will you do? Oh it's not a problem he replied, I'm teaching Sonny to cook! :lol: Diddles by the way, is the image of one of my sons friends (w00t)

jools said:
I must sound awful, but Diddles must be one of the ugliest dogs in the world!!!! His photo just doesn't tell the truth!!!
Diddles is not the bonnest dog going is he - poor thing.......

I would never, ever give up my lurchers :wub:

Just been looking at the rescue site and Chloe is stunning! The others are gorgeous, even little Diddles looks kinda cute :*

So glad that the dogs were all able to be looked after and here's wishing them all new homes very soon.

Fantastic that you were able to save their lives :huggles:

It wasn't me who saved them - all credit for that goes to the lady (who wishes to remain anonymous) who collected them, gave them shelter (good comfy warm shelter,) food, called her vet and all for nothing. My faith in mankind has been restored.

Thank the lord for people like we have on K9, who love their dogs, unlike a lot of people in this area.

I will update you when there is any news.

They are such beautiful lurchers too, how could anyone walk off and leave them to their fate lie that :eek: Marriage break up or not....that's just no excuse.

Poor Diddles...he looks so keen to please and a real live wire. :huggles: He deserves a good home too... :huggles:

Well done to all involved. :thumbsup:

:( happens all too often, well done all who got them safe :huggles:

Jess is just like out old bedlington cross Tess, wish I had room for her :'(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back