The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Things That Puzzel Me

Karen-Coral

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have been wondering for quite a long time as to WHY when dogs and bitches reach 5 years old they improve so much----

that there is no longer a need for them to run separately ----therefore for veteran races they run together ---This surely can't be right

if they cant manage to run on equal terms when they are at the top of their form/ how on earth can they once they reach the tender age of FIVE------

i personally think that they should stay separate what are your views on this????

i also think that there should only be at the most two years difference in ages it cant be right to run a 8 year old against one thats just and so five years old --

maybe some changes would mean more veterans running longer and maybe even shorter distances for the older classes--

please write and tell us your opinions on this matter---

will make an interesting topic i think

steve

I agree with you Steve- :thumbsup:

I also can spell 'puzzle' correctly 8)

Please sign out and use your own name instead of posting via mine if you can't spell properly! :clown:

Karen

I do see your point on separation of dog/bitches in veterans classes in one way but if you look at the amount of entries in veteran races even with dogs and bitches together very often the races are not full races. Therefore if they were split even more into dogs/bitches separate would it not make for more solo's or empty classes. I did notice at an open earlier in the year where it was dog and bitch separate the entries were no better so it didnt attract any more dogs into the vets by being separate.

Also dogs seem to fair quite well in the veterans last years Sidewinder Saunter winner a dog, this years Scottish Derby Veteran a dog winner, also in the Vets Top Ten 4 dogs 6 bitches at the moment not a bad split.

As for the age split i do agree that at 5 years old bitches/dogs can still be running well enough to compete and win in their weight groups against the younger dogs whereas by the time they are 7/8 they have usually lost some of their youthfull form so maybe we should look at a larger split than yd per year maybe the older they get the yardage advantage should be greater !! 5-6 year yd per year - 5 - 7 3 yard increase and 5-8 5 yard increase instead of the yard per year but again this doesnt always work as at the moment a 7 yr old bitch seems to be running very well in the veterans with just the yd per year advantage and still winning. Again if we split into age groups would it make for less entries in each group? - 'swings and roundabouts' but an interesting topic. :D and we will all have our own opinions but nice to see them :D

Hope my spelling is OK - Karen :- "

:oops: youthfull..........should be youthful-Lol :D

Thanks for indulging the old sod.....with a reply :cheers:

Not been much on telly for him today.....no 'Cowies' as he calls them :b

Karen

a bit off topic but why do scratch all race together too? ie dogs & bitches all in?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back