The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

This is so very sad

Mayblossom

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
2580D95E-D861-485E-9A1E-C098548F3924.jpeg

This came up on Epsom downs dog walkers group , so heartbreaking for all concerned .

Absolutely heartbreaking i hate hearing anything like these :(

Terrible story but it should be shared if only to highlight the problems these dogs face.

I just read a story about someone with a little schaunzer who thought the dog was having fun on a sunny day fetching sticks from the lake but the dog later collapsed and died from water intoxication. Its something most people have never even heard of let alone seen. With forums and social media we get the chance to share this information and hopefully educate each other.

Very true , hard enough to lose a much loved pet through illness or old age but to something you may have contributed to must be devastating, hopefully these messages may go some way to educating pet owners but very sad that it takes these tragedies to highlight the dangers, who would have thought playing with your dog in the water could have such devastating consequences, so heartbreaking.

This is so dreadfully awful! I also heard about the schnauzer @Mad Murphy, you just need to be careful with the sun it is so dangerous especially with our animals.

I’ve noticed a few posts on my local Facebook dog group about a certain lady leaving her Weimaraner in the car this past week. She thought leaving a window open halfway was acceptable.

This is also the same lady that I see frequently parked by the river bank where she let’s her dog off and then just stands there (is the dog meant to walk herself!?) and another time I actually saw her sat in the car whilst her dog was tied to a post outside! Madness

Josie, first I obviously do not knoe that lady. But as to letting her dog exercise itself. I knew a disabled lady that lived close to a suitable beach. She had a large rough coated lurcher, at least twice a day she slowly walked it to the beach, sat herself on a bench and let the dog off lead. As a Lurcher it then had a great time chasing seagulls up and down but never going far from her. When she was ready she called it, put its lead on and they slowly walked back home. I loved seeing the bond they had between them. She was incapable of actually taking the dog for a walk, but doing it that way the dog had the right sort of exercise for it.

Josie, first I obviously do not knoe that lady. But as to letting her dog exercise itself. I knew a disabled lady that lived close to a suitable beach. She had a large rough coated lurcher, at least twice a day she slowly walked it to the beach, sat herself on a bench and let the dog off lead. As a Lurcher it then had a great time chasing seagulls up and down but never going far from her. When she was ready she called it, put its lead on and they slowly walked back home. I loved seeing the bond they had between them. She was incapable of actually taking the dog for a walk, but doing it that way the dog had the right sort of exercise for it.

That’s sounds great. However, this dog in question juststands there :-( she was parked there again today just sat in her car with the dog in the passenger seat.

When I was in London there was an elderly lady with a yorkie. She used to walk down to the dog walking area and sit on a bench while he yorkie played with other dogs on their way in and out of the park. No harm there, her dog was very social and she got to talk to people while her dog got loads of exersize.

Locally I knew a man with a rottie he would go to the park sit on a bench and keep his dog on a short lead ..He would sit for a couple of hours with the dog unable to move more than a foot or so, then go home. No exersize at all, the poor dog was so frustrated it was stir crazy.

Similar situations but totally different attitude and outcomes.

Josie, the dog was a large (ish), rough haired scruffy Lurcher. He had been in a rescue kennels for some considerable time being overlooked, (not being small and cute I guess). The Lady came with her son to look round, asked about him and when the staff brought him out to her it was love at first sight from both, (or so I was told by the staff member). It took some time for her to persuade the staff to let her have him with her son agreeing that he was happy to walk it. I understand they started with him taking it out, but she wanted to so for a while they went out using two leads, him holding one in case but the dog walked slowly along side her. After a time and after the dog came accross various distractions without reacting he let her take it out by herself. As I said before the bond between them was wonderful to see. I moved away so do not know how long they were together but I was convinced that the dog extended her life, (both in time and quality). And without a doubt the dog lived a happy life with her.

I k
When I was in London there was an elderly lady with a yorkie. She used to walk down to the dog walking area and sit on a bench while he yorkie played with other dogs on their way in and out of the park. No harm there, her dog was very social and she got to talk to people while her dog got loads of exersize.

Locally I knew a man with a rottie he would go to the park sit on a bench and keep his dog on a short lead ..He would sit for a couple of hours with the dog unable to move more than a foot or so, then go home. No exersize at all, the poor dog was so frustrated it was stir crazy.

Similar situations but totally different attitude and outcomes.
I know a man who does the same - since the dog was a pup he’s taken him to our park and fields/ woods and just sits on the bench with it watching the other dogs go by. The man used to let him off to play with my dog, but he is now so over weight, he doesn’t want to play because he doesn’t have the energy or muscle tone. He’s also become nervous of other dogs because he hasn’t had the interaction.
Such a shame for this lovely collie/ spaniel cross who is only 3 years old.

We used to have a lovely elderly man who came to the field with his jack russell He walked with a frame but would sit on the bench while Barney played.
Some months after he died we found Barney running round the field alone. Luckily the local vet was able to read his chip and phoned the number on there. The man's wife said the dog now lived some distance away with their son.
Barney was looking for his old owner. So sad and we haven't seen him since.

We used to have a lovely elderly man who came to the field with his jack russell He walked with a frame but would sit on the bench while Barney played.
Some months after he died we found Barney running round the field alone. Luckily the local vet was able to read his chip and phoned the number on there. The man's wife said the dog now lived some distance away with their son.
Barney was looking for his old owner. So sad and we haven't seen him since.
Oh that is so sad

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back