The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Three Years And Still Haven't Solved The Problem!

ariel

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Every Autumn I am faced with the same dilemma of how to keep my whippet warm on cold days when I don't have the heating on (if I could keep it on 24hrs a day it would be fine, but the planet and my bank account mean that isn't possible!). He is useless at getting under any covers himself but doesn't seem to like wearing a coat. I have seen beds with openings, but I'm really not convinced that he would even cope with them. Has anyone else had similar problems and are there any solutions out there?!

Every Autumn I am faced with the same dilemma of how to keep my whippet warm on cold days when I don't have the heating on (if I could keep it on 24hrs a day it would be fine, but the planet and my bank account mean that isn't possible!). He is useless at getting under any covers himself but doesn't seem to like wearing a coat. I have seen beds with openings, but I'm really not convinced that he would even cope with them. Has anyone else had similar problems and are there any solutions out there?!
A nice knitted jumper could be the answer! I'm just about to put one I've made on the marketplace - pale blue - so PM me if you are interested in jumping in first! Another one still on the needles is dark grey. Failing that, have you tried wrapping him in a blanket once he is settled in bed? Gracie has a special little noise now when she requires that service from me :D

Last edited by a moderator:
google dog cage heaters, they do not have to be in a cage you can put them under a blanket etc cost pence to run or you could you a ceramic puppy heater imo its not needed as long as they are indoors should be fine buy a cheap duvet from supermarket and if you dog is cold they will bury themselves in it , very dangerous to leave them in a coat unattended once had a dog in a coat nearly strangle inself in the back of the van on a short journey from the field

Im sure your wee man would quickly work out how to use a snuggle bed (as you mentioned, some come with a hooped front on them). My dogs LOVE them!

The Anderson Dog Bed on ebay are brilliant for keeping them warm and you can ask for the opening to be bigger if your whippy as a fear of going in one :thumbsup:

Thank you for all your suggestions. He has his own duvet, which I snuggle him up in when he gives me 'that look' and he wll happily jump in bed with me when I hold my duvet up for him to get in....hmmm...maybe I just need to become a recluse and a full-time whippet snuggler, sounds lovely to me!

We have the same problem with Daisy in the winter, yet she really wasn't keen on wearing coats indoors so last year we bought her an equafleece - http://www.equafleece.co.uk/store/index.html

They're great - they wash really well and dry so quickly plus they're really comfy and cosy. They make loads of different styles of garment, we just got her the doggy jumper in the slim fit; it fits perfectly and looks really cute. The only problem is they can sometimes be a bit tricky to pull over your dog's head if they're intent on wriggling.but you soon get the knack of it :D . A hand-knitted jumper would be ideal, but if you can't get hold of one, then I thoroughly recommend Equafleece.

Big cardboard box with a pop hole cut in it. A bit like a cardboard kennel. Cover with a thick blanket and put a nice duvet or fleecy blanket in it. Worth a try and cheap!!!!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back