The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Tia

nicky12

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
can anybody give me info on menagitis or any experience of somones who dog that has had it.

tia had a relapse the other day of her problem ,you probably all remeber her vids i put on and the long progress of her getting better well monday night she was in agony so i took her to another vets ,and she had temp and pain in her neck yelping in pain wen moved to the sides ext so they gave her an anti inflamitory injection anti biotic and pain reliefe and anti biotics to take home and pain reliefe ,she went bk today for check up and has improved her temp is bk down and the pain has shifted to her bk end again ,the vet said she thinks she has menagitus not the virul form :wacko: whatever that mean i was so upset i didnt take it all in ,anybody elses dog suffer with this shes got course of anti biotics and is bk on 7th jan for another check up and to disscuss it more ,but im at my wits end please any info :(

sorry to hear about tia nicky sending you both lots of :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

Hi there just posting to see if I can be of any help - I am Hula's daughter and I am a vet. I am by no means any sort of authority on this subject, but I have seen a couple of cases of a disease called steroid responsive meningitis in whippets - is this what Tia has? It presents as neck pain, high temperature and just generally not feeling very well...tends to seem to respond a little to antibiotics initially, but the required treatment is high doses of steroids. How old is Tia? (it typically affects fairly young dogs).

Oh Nicky, I'm so sorry to hear Tia is poorly again. That must be the final straw at the moment, I do feel for you. Big hugs to you both :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: and I do hope that this new vet will have some solutions for you.

:( Oh Nicky, Im sorry to read this, poor Tia and Im sorry for you, youve certainly had your share lately :huggles: :huggles: Hope Tia improves quickly :luck:

Aww Nicky im so sorry to hear about Tia, just when we you thought she was on the mend and starting to be back to normal. I really hope the vets can get to the bottom of this and she is all better soon. :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: to you and Tia

Hula said:
Hi there just posting to see if I can be of any help - I am Hula's daughter and I am a vet.  I am by no means any sort of authority on this subject, but I have seen a couple of cases of a disease called steroid responsive meningitis in whippets - is this what Tia has? It presents as neck pain, high temperature and just generally not feeling very well...tends to seem to respond a little to antibiotics initially, but the required treatment is high doses of steroids.  How old is Tia?  (it typically affects fairly young dogs).
hi yes that sounds like somthing she said and those are the symptoms and yes it does get a bit better with anti biotics and complete crate rest i cant rember what she called it just can rember she said some menagitus ,she said she would disscuss a course of treatment wen she goes bk on the 7th after her anti biotic have finished .

I would suggest it would probably be worthwhile to go back to the vets sooner than the 7th - just as soon as your vets is open again.

Obviously I have never seen or examined Tia, and I don't mean to contradict in any way what another vet has said - but if it is steroid responsive meningitis, although antibiotics seem to work a little, they don't treat the disease -steroids do (although some vets would use antibiotics at the same time as steroids, at least at first).

And she's about the typical age for it, too.

Poor Tia :huggles: ims orry to read she's

poorly again Nicky :(

Hula said:
I would suggest it would probably be worthwhile to go back to the vets sooner than the 7th - just as soon as your vets is open again.Obviously I have never seen or examined Tia, and I don't mean to contradict in any way what another vet has said - but if it is steroid responsive meningitis, although antibiotics seem to work a little, they don't treat the disease -steroids do (although some vets would use antibiotics at the same time as steroids, at least at first).

thanks for all your advice i will take her bk as soon as they open or if she gets worst to an emergency vet ,how would she have got this in the first place any ideas i thought wen all this started that she had knocked herself out on her walk cause it started off with her limping on her bk leg then next mornign she was in agony couldnt move her neck and was yelping in pain and has been on and of like this for ages ,then alll off a sudden she improved so much stopped limpping adn was even at the stage were she was bk to free running and walks , :wacko:

Oh Nicky...what else love :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

Can't help at all, but I'm thinking and praying for you, Tia and everyone else my friend :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have said also, if it is that, the prognosis is really good, and they tend to respond quite quickly too.

I hope what I've said has been helpful - please let my mum know how things go - I'm not a member on this site myself.

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you.

Hula said:
I should have said also, if it is that, the prognosis is really good, and they tend to respond quite quickly too.I hope what I've said has been helpful - please let my mum know how things go - I'm not a member on this site myself.

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you.

thanks ever so much for your help and advice :huggles: il will pm your mum to keep her posted for you and again thanks :huggles:

Oh think you replied just as I put my post on!

If it is that, nobody really knows why it happens - but given that it responds well to high doses of steroids, it's thought that it might be an autoimmune disease.

It's really uncommon - we weren't really taught about it at vet school - until I had a case on my internal medicine rotation in final year - so I'm not sure that all vets would be aware of it.

Well worth mentioning it to your vet, anyway - any good vet should be happy to listen to any suggestions and give them some consideration.

Hula said:
Oh think you replied just as I put my post on!
If it is that, nobody really knows why it happens - but given that it responds well to high doses of steroids, it's thought that it might be an autoimmune disease.

It's really uncommon - we weren't really taught about it at vet school - until I had a case on my internal medicine rotation in final year - so I'm not sure that all vets would be aware of it.

Well worth mentioning it to your vet, anyway - any good vet should be happy to listen to any suggestions and give them some consideration.

ok thank you again for your help :huggles: i will look that up on net now see what it say and thanks for that link to trish :huggles:

oh no nicky :( poor you and tia

sending you lots of hugs :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

oh nicky

so sorry hun

hope tia feels better soon hun

lots of :luck: :huggles: to you all

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back