The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ticks on us...

Mad Murphy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Yes, Ive just discovered my first tick... Much as the little monsters disgust me I have to say I'm shocked I've never been bitten before .
I've been trawling through grassland and forests since I was a child and this is the first time I've ever been bitten.

OH listened to my instructions well and took it off cleanly and whole.
But it got me thinking how often others get bitten and if you use anything to protect yourselves?

I never used to use anything but this year (ironically) we are using a spray deterrent aganst mosquitos and ticks but this one slipped into the waistband of my trousers which is not an area I spray..

Ive cleaned the area with dettol and Ive applied savlon hopefully it should be ok I know what danger signs to look for but anyone have any tips to protect us humans?

Sorry to hear that. Your Google search will be as good as mine so I have nothing to add but I hope you don't get any serious or long term issues.

OH has had a tick bite once, I never have. We don't use any protection. They must find dogs tastier than humans! Fingers crossed you'll be absolutely fine.

Thanks, there is still a little bump and a bit of redness around the area of the bite but less than last night so I take that as a good sign..

Near to where I live the Park Rangers advise people to wear white, long trousers when venturing out and about to help stop ticks latching onto legs and if they do, they're easier to spot on lighter coloured clothes. Hope your bite heals up properly :)

Near to where I live the Park Rangers advise people to wear white, long trousers when venturing out and about to help stop ticks latching onto legs and if they do, they're easier to spot on lighter coloured clothes. Hope your bite heals up properly :)

wow never heard that... Cant say anything white would stay white very long with Murphy around lol

tucking trousers into socks is also helpful. // Climbing up the inside of one's pants is a common route of entry.
They like warm spots where skin is close to skin, or where clothing is close to skin - groin, waist, armpit, the crevice of one's buttocks. U need a mirror or a partner to check groin, urogenital, & anal areas properly.

I got ticks fairly often as a kid, but haven't dealt with them as an adult. I use botanical catnip-spray as my repellent. [This is not an advertisement nor a warranty - for all i know, i just haven't intersected with any ticks while wearing it. ]

- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back