The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ticks

John Wood

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Advice on Ticks please .
I have had to remove my first tick this morning and I’m pretty sure I got it all out but it left a little bump is that normal ?
After this morning’s walk i just checked him again and found another one which I’m not so sure if i got it all I only had tweezers to pull it out ,I just pulled with a gentle pressure until it let go but it just seemed to pull apart I have cleaned the area after but how do you know if you have left anything inside ?
He is on monthly Nexgard so they should die , he has put on a bit of weight as he was on the thin side so maybe his dose isn’t enough now he is due another tablet next week .

Last edited:
They can leave a little bump as when they bite it is an irritant....
You can buy tick pullers ...they come in 3 sizes ...they are worth getting.....my two are on nexguard which I find very good....although the ticks attach to the dogs they cannot actually Gorge any blood ;)

They can leave a little bump as when they bite it is an irritant....
You can buy tick pullers ...they come in 3 sizes ...they are worth getting.....my two are on nexguard which I find very good....although the ticks attach to the dogs they cannot actually Gorge any blood ;)

I ordered a tick puller after todays events I just hope he doesn’t get an infection . Do you just pull up with the tick puller ? I have read conflicting comments some say you should twist and some say just pull up

Last edited:
Ours came with the instruction to twist.

Don't be tempted to burn them off, or use vaseline to suffocate them or alcohol to anaesthetise them - the extra stress can cause them to regurgitate the blood they have consumed and that can introduce Lyme into the dog's bloodstream.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back