The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Toilet habits

John Wood

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Sorry it’s a toilet question, in the morning my dogs stools are what I would call normal they are formed easy to pick up but later through the day they can be quite moist and leaves a residue which is very hard to clean . We are feeding him good quality kibble but we do use a little bit of wet food on top along with some water . Do you think he needs a visit to the vets or could it be a puppy thing .

Last edited:
It's actually not uncommon. I'm sure someone will be able to explain in a more scientific way but basically, overnight the stools have more time to 'cook' ...

At 12 my dog still does the same. As long as they aren't very wet (unformed) I wouldn't worry. If they are too wet, you could try feeding a little less earlier in the day and compensating with a little more later, when he has overnight to digest them.

Yep, that's right. Lying longer in the gut allows more water absorption. Dog digestion is pretty fast, like all carnivores.

Thank you both for your reply as long as it’s normal and he is healthy then it is what it is .

We have stopped giving him wet food on top of his kibble just adding a little water to see if that helps . He seems to always go to the loo twice first thing the first is always well formed and hard the second one is always really soft it’s like picking up mashed potato ,why would that be as it’s been in his gut for the same amount of time . I’m thinking of changing his food but he loves what we give him so am really unsure what the best thing is to do .

It's possible the firmer poo is from a previous meal, not the last one. What brand/variety of kibble are you feeding?

I never got a decent poo out of my dog till I switched to raw - kibble just doesn't seem to agree with some dogs.

Interesting ! I have thought about feeding him raw I will have to do some research.
I am feeding him Essentials kibble recommended by friend who is a dog trainer .

That looks like a good food. Make sure you're not actually overfeeding him - you need to feed much less grain-free kibble than one that has grain and other random filler, and the guidelines on packets can be overgenerous.

How many times a day does he usually poo in total?

May I suggest that you get yourself a little book " Honey's Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs".
It explains very simply about raw feeding, it is easy to read and understand. (my favourite book)
This book can be purchased online from Amazon and ebay, used but very good condition.

I have used raw products for our dogs for 40 years without any problems and have reared/weaned puppies from 2.5 weeks of age on it too.
The product can be conveniently be purchased from most pet stores with a freezer.
A lovely choice.

That looks like a good food. Make sure you're not actually overfeeding him - you need to feed much less grain-free kibble than one that has grain and other random filler, and the guidelines on packets can be overgenerous.

How many times a day does he usually poo in total?

We are just feeding him what Essentials recommend maybe a little more but he does have treats throughout the day and on walks which is on top of his meals . He normally poo’s around 3 times a day twice in the morning and once at night .

May I suggest that you get yourself a little book " Honey's Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs".
It explains very simply about raw feeding, it is easy to read and understand. (my favourite book)
This book can be purchased online from Amazon and ebay, used but very good condition.

I have used raw products for our dogs for 40 years without any problems and have reared/weaned puppies from 2.5 weeks of age on it too.
The product can be conveniently be purchased from most pet stores with a freezer.
A lovely choice.

I have just bought the book all the reviews are amazing I’m actually quite excited for our little man to try raw food . Thank you

Good luck with the raw feeding!

It is quite possible that you are feeding him a little more than he needs and that's why his poos aren't quite right. Or it might just be 'normal for him'.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back