The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Toilet training a 2year old lab

Reddilla

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

Last friday we bought a part trained 2 year old lab from a company who run shoots in Wales.

Ruby is beautiful and very clever but used to sleeping in a kennels, so came to us un housetrained.

She has responded very well too basic training and we've not had an accident for 5 days.

However, now she has learnt not to go to the toilet in the house during the day but she is waking me several times at night to go out to the toilet.

She is not going to the toilet before bed despite my strongest encouragement...

Can anyone advise me as to how to stop these night time trips?

Many thanks

Hi :D

What time is she fed and what sort of food is she having? She shouldnt need to be going several times through the night. Does she need to pee or poo? If she needs to pee I would suggest taking her to a vet to rule out any urine infection or other problem. If there is nothing obvious, are you sure she really needs to go, or is she enjoying seeing you in the night?

I would try moving her feeding times as well- my friends lab was struggling to hold himself overnight at the age of 12 months and she has helped by moving his main meal to 7am and giving a very small biscuit meal at 4 pm.

When you say she isnt going to the toilet at bedtime have you tried using a command when she does go during the daytime, such as "busy" and giving lots of praise, and then using the command at bedtime to give her an idea of what you want her to do. Is she reluctant to use the garden? perhaps a short bed time walk might help?

You havent had her long and seem to have made really good progress in a short time- maybe she feels a little insecure and will settle down as she relaxes. I would say not to give any praise or encouragement if she wakes you in the night. I would not even make eye contact but would just let her out as she needs, and return her to where she sleeps without comment. Good luck, and hope she settles down soon- its not fun being woken in the night! :wacko:

Thanks

That's really helpful....

I have tried saying good wee wee & good poo poo when she goes to the toilet and asking her to go wee wee etc! This is followed up by the biggest amount of fuss!

I am very business like when she gets me up at night and only talk to her, stroke her and look at her when she does go to the loo.

She doesn't go to the toilet every time, so she definitely likes getting me up, but she does go to the loo around 4am!

I just wondered if I should be encouraging her to hold on until its time to get up or if that's too much of a stretch at the point...

Thanks

I think working dogs can be a bit of a nuisance in these areas as they aren't often kept indoors, rather in kennels where they generally toilet wherever they like, so bringing them inside can be a nightmare!

I would just keep taking her outside and start a sound/word to associate with going for a wee, so when she drops to wee or positions to poo ( :lol: ) you say the words, reward and go back inside...

I like Pippywhippet also do the main meal in the morning...

Welcome to Dog Forum - pics please! :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back