The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Toilet training a rescue pup

SkyBlu

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi. We have had our gorgeous rescue pup for a few days now. She 8 months old and totally adorable. She's had a rubbish start and had never lived in a home before going to her foster carer a few weeks ago so house rules are very new to her. Despite this, she is an angel. However, naturally, she's hasn't quite grasped toileting in the garden all the time yet, although she is pretty good. We are taking her out into the garden regularly and more often than not managing to catch her at the right time. We are with her all the time and she's never left, but despite this she gives NO warning that she's looking for somewhere to do her business. She literally just goes. For instance, this morning she was having a crazy ten minutes charging around the house and then just went for a poo. Barely even stopping before going. So it's impossible to predict when she's about to go. So far we've just cleaned it up with no mention of anything. But if she goes outside she gets lots of fuss and a treat. We haven't been taking her out immediately after she goes, should we? Or should we just carry on as we are? I'm expecting it to take a while, but just want to make sure we're doing it as best as we can. Thanks. x

You are right, there's little point taking her out after an accident. I think your best bet is to set a really good routine of taking her, maybe every hour or 90 minutes so you are trying to make sure she is already out when she needs to toilet. And as you said, lots of fuss and a treat when she does it outside - do that immediately so it's clear the reward is for toileting and not for anything else. I'd also suggest a special treat that is only used for outside toilets. Frankfurter sausage or roast chicken are good and I'd give several tiny pieces in quick succession. For some reason that seems to hold more value than one piece of equivalent size. Other than that you are on the right track. Once it clicks that outdoor toilets bring this fabby reward she will start trying to hold to earn her sausage.

Great thank you. Yes we've been going out every 60-90 minutes after she's been or every 20 minutes if she hasn't. And trying to stay out there for as long as possible. She's a bit of a nervous pup so any random noises spook her and she's then quivering and pulling to go in (we're still using a lead in the garden at the moment because she gets spooked so easily.) Good idea about the sausage or chicken. Will try that too.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back