The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Toilet training advice - 7 month old

Lucy2590

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello

I’m new to the forum so hope I manage to give enough info to get some advice...

My partner and I have a 7-month old French Bulldog. We had him from 8 weeks and he was already paper trained (puppy pads) we straight away worked on the toilet training and he did really well. A few accidents along the way as to be expected but generally a smooth process much to our relief!

He now goes to day care Monday - Friday as we both work full time. He gets dropped off around 4.30/5pm and generally sleeps until we get home from work (between 6.30pm and 7.30pm). He gets dropped off in the kitchen which is the room he also sleeps in, he is not crate trained.

Recently we have been coming home to a bit of a mess! As he goes to the toilet (number 1 only!) on the floor. The spot he goes in is in utility room area (which then leads on to garden which he cannot access when we are not there). We have spoken to the day care and they told us they make sure he goes to the toilet before getting in the van and being dropped home which we completely believe as they provide a great service and really care for the dogs.

We’re scratching our heads trying to work out if he’s reverted a bit with the toilet training? It’s not every single time but more often than not and it is a large puddle of wee in one spot so it doesn’t seem like territory marking to me - but I am no expert! We have not had him neutered.

Any advice would be super helpful. Apart from that he never goes to the toilet in the house.

Thanks in advance!

Some dogs do take a step back in toilet training when they reach that age. There are a few things you could do.

First, I would ask the day care to allow him to wee again when they get to your house, so he hopefully doesn't need to in the house.

Second, clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner and leave the cleaner down for ten minutes before you wipe it up - many people make the mistake of not giving the enzymes time to work.

Block the area if you can to stop him going back to the same place.

Then, back to basics with housetraining. Whenever he toilets outdoors make a huge fuss (never mind the neighbours, act like outdoor toileting is the best thing you have ever seen) and reward him with a high value treat. Do that immediately, don't make him come to you for the treat so he is clear that it's for toileting and not for coming to you.

Too late now but for anyone who may read this in future, I hate puppy pads. They give mixed messages about whether indoor toileting is allowed or not and create confusion.

Sorry, another thought. Could he be anxious? Toileting can relieve stress. If you can set up a remote camera (I believe you can get phone and tablet apps) you could observe him. If that's the case there are other things you can do.

Thank you Joanne we will try this. Really helpful advice.

he doesn’t seem to be anxious, I should have mentioned we have a camera set up and he seems his usual calm self when he gets dropped off. No barking or any disruptive behaviour, maybe a play with a toy if not straight into his bed but with a wee first! We will try everything you have suggested .

Some dogs do take a step back in toilet training when they reach that age. There are a few things you could do.

First, I would ask the day care to allow him to wee again when they get to your house, so he hopefully doesn't need to in the house.

Second, clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner and leave the cleaner down for ten minutes before you wipe it up - many people make the mistake of not giving the enzymes time to work.

Block the area if you can to stop him going back to the same place.

Then, back to basics with housetraining. Whenever he toilets outdoors make a huge fuss (never mind the neighbours, act like outdoor toileting is the best thing you have ever seen) and reward him with a high value treat. Do that immediately, don't make him come to you for the treat so he is clear that it's for toileting and not for coming to you.

Too late now but for anyone who may read this in future, I hate puppy pads. They give mixed messages about whether indoor toileting is allowed or not and create confusion.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back